Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Chainsaw Question

Visiting Guest

06-06-03, 12:41 PM   #1  
indy
Husqvarna 345

I've been scanning through the various posts about chainsaws on here and am glad to see the Husky is well liked since I've narrowed my search to either one of them or a Stihl. I've been looking at their model 345 with 16" bar(also looked at Stihl 025, but too much $$). If anyone has had experience with this model, I'd like to know how it performs, how easy is routine (and not so routine) maintenance.

I plan on using this saw for a few camping trips a year, yard maintenance, and possibly cord wood in a few years when I move to larger place. I want a saw that won't need replacing every few years.

Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

Sponsored Links

06-06-03, 08:01 PM   #2  
My dad has a husky 345. It is a very nice saw. The only thing he ever has to do to it is just normal things, such as tighten and replace the chain. He bought it around october, that's when we has a hurricane blow through. He has used it to cut down 3 vry large pine trees, grind up the stumps, and cut a lot of small oak trees. He never had a problem with it yet. He bought it at sears for about $240, however, you can find them on the internet for as low as $200. Sears always has replacement chains if you need them. If you do to arboristsite.com, you will find many good things about this model. Plus, you can read about other saws that offer just as good quality for a lower price. Also, on that web site there is plenty of tips on how to find barely used saws that are almost brand new. Ex. Home depot carries the echo brand and they have many returns from people that don't like them, or use them just for one purpose then bring them back. These saws then get sent back to echo and get reconditioned and get sent back to home depot for resale. These reconditioned saws carry the original warrenty, plus they sell for less than brand new. Then, I believe that home depot's policy is that if it doesn't sell within a certain short time, the prive automatically drops down to 50%. Echo saws are equal to hushavarna and stihl. To make a long story short, I have heard of stories where guys use there husky 345 to cut over 20 miles of atv trails in the woods. Hope this helps.

Visiting Guest

06-09-03, 11:01 AM   #3  
indy
Thanks for the lead on arboristsite.com, it looks like theres lots of great info over there as well. Thanks also for the other input too, it sounds like if I go with the 345 it should handle my tasks just fine pretty much forever.

Search this Thread