Starting Problem

Old 06-06-03, 04:58 PM
wiz
Visiting Guest
Craftsman Edger won't start

Craftsman Edger Model # 358.797450

Tested the Spark Plug and I did see a spark. Probably a carb problem but I don't know where to start. I'm a newbie. Any tips?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-03, 07:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello wiz!

Drop a few drops of gas into the spark plug hole and see if it will start. If it runs for a second and dies, then you have a fuel problem. Tell us what make and model engine you have for detailed information.

Old 06-07-03, 09:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Cheese,

That is a Poulan made (Source code 358) machine, and should come up on the Sears.com website.

Old 06-08-03, 12:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Joe...not exactly...sears parts direct website is not operating right now. Yes, it is a poulan product.

Old 06-08-03, 06:25 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: wiz

For whatever value the below parts sources are worth to you in an attempt to locate repair parts, 3 potential sources for manuals and or replacement parts are listed below.

BILLIOU'S 1-209-784-4102

L.S.THORPE CO. INC. 1-617-776-2445

FOLEY-BELSAW COMPANY 1-816-483-4200

Disclaimer:
I do not have any affiliations nor vested interests in any of these retail parts suppliers. Provided solely to assist with locating parts.

Regards & Good Luck. Small Engine Forum Host & Multiple Topics Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company." Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Old 06-09-03, 05:31 AM
fordv10f1
Visiting Guest
I was wondering if it was a 2 cycle or 4cycle engine. I don't know for sure but if it is a 2 cycle it may have a carburator like a chainsaw carburator. If so you may won't to try changing the fuel filter first then if that don't work a complete carburator overhaul kit. If it is a four cycle it probally don't have a pump but it might. It its got a pump that may be the problem if it don't there might be some dirt in ther carburator. How many adjustment screws can you find on the carburator and how old is it?

Old 06-09-03, 05:49 AM
wiz
Visiting Guest
I dropped some fuel into the Spark plug hole and it started. I'm going to try the fuel filter first, as it's a $2 item.

Old 06-09-03, 10:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
OK...if it started, then you know you have spark, and you have a fuel problem rather than an ignition problem. Check for fuel flow out of the tank lines. If you have a steady flow of fuel, you need to clean the carb.