rope pull starter

Old 06-07-03, 09:19 AM
ToooooMean
Visiting Guest
Cool lawnmower pull cord

I have a Scotts Turfmaster 5hp/21" mower. The model number is C2105010 serial number 5011179320230. The pull cord starts to pull then hangs up. I can't afford to take it in for repair and I really need to mow my lawn ! Please help!

Thanking you in advance,
ToooooMean

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-03, 09:40 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Some of these pull starts can be a real PITA to work with. Suggest you replace the whole unit or bring the pull start into a mower shop.

If you buy the parts from them, they will probably install it for you with mimimal charges. Then, just bolt the "rebuilt" pull start back onto the machine and you're good to go

Old 06-08-03, 12:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds to me like there may be other problems, like the engine may not be able to turn over because the blad is hitting underneath, the engine has a stuck valve, the piston is hitting something, blade brake is not releasing, etc...

Take the plug wire off and try to turn the engine by the blade, while the safety/shutoff bar is held down or tied down. If it doesn't turn, remove the starter cover and try again. If it still doesn't turn, you have problems other than the pull start.

What make and model engine do you have? Some pull-start mechanisms are simple to repair, others are best replaced.