starving for gas

Old 06-09-03, 04:32 AM
starving for gas

3 hp B/S

This mower has the primer bulb. it has to be primed several times before it starts. When it starts, to keep it running, I have to prime it several more times. It eventually will kind of pick the gas up and run on its own. My intentions are to replace gas with fresh gas, check/clean/replace carb kit and maybe the bulb.
Sorry, no numbers on it yet. It is not and old mower.
Comments?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-03, 05:46 AM
fordv10f1
Visiting Guest
It is not uncommon to have to pump it several times when you start it. Maybe even a few times after it is started. If you are haveing to repeatedly pump it after it is started check the fuel filter then rebuild the carburator if nessecary. Keep it in mind that the piston could always be scoured. Read my other post as it may help you determining that if a caurberator rebuil doesn't help.
By the way I got a new Techuseh that has to be pumped 20 times to start it at 10 below or 100 above!!!

Old 06-09-03, 10:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you have to push it more than 3 times to start it, there is a problem. I believe cleaning the carb, replacing the $3.00 diaphragm, and filling with fresh fuel will solve the problem, unless: It could have a plastic intake tube that is cracked or broken, or the carb "O" ring could be out of place, both of which also cause these symptoms.

Old 06-10-03, 08:54 AM
fordv10f1
Visiting Guest
I know they say 3-5 times but I've been there before. Of corse my Techumsh that takes 20 times is ohv and it takes longer for it to prime because of that. On a verticle engine 5 times ought to be enough and if it's hot nothing after it starts.

Old 06-10-03, 11:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Something is wrong with it if it takes 20 times to prime it. That's not normal. A leaking bowl gasket, restricted orfice, or a poorly sealing primer bulb could be the cause of your problem on the tecumseh engine.

Old 06-10-03, 11:53 AM
fordv10f1
Visiting Guest
I had it looked at when the machine was in to get new shocks. They told me that the reason why it took "10" not 20 times was because it was an OHV Hi-Proformance Horizontal shaft engine. They said there isn't any thing wrong with it that this was typical of this engine.
Thank-You for takeing your time to responding to that,
Ford

Old 06-10-03, 11:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you can live with it, I guess it's not hurting anything, but whoever told you that 20 times is normal for an OHV engine is shooting you a line. If the primer was working properly, gas would be running out the carb throat after 20 primes. As long as it is running right, and you don't mind having to prime it so much, then I suppose it won't hurt anything.

Take care!

Old 06-11-03, 04:18 AM
Clean carb, new diaphram and pull rope and ready to mow again.
I hope, at least. I pick it up today.

I let someone else do it ( too many irons in the fire here ).

Tx for the comments.