reel mower question

Old 06-09-03, 04:52 AM
National reel mower

I have a National reel type mower. I think it is 26" cutwith 3 hp B/S engine. Some surface rust and the rollers really could be replaced. The engine is stuck right now. Not sure the last time it ran. I am thinking about disassembling this thing and repairing it. I think it is an interesting machine. Any comments on these type mowers?

P.S. They advertise one on their site that they say is the only walk-behind that will cut 2', So I may be wrong on the width. I measured it a few days ago at the store and I may be thinking wrong.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-03, 05:49 AM
fordv10f1
Visiting Guest
I have to wonder first if the engine is an aluminum block. If it is you are waisting your time trying to fix it because it is melted down. If it is a cast iron block you can bore it out and put an oversized piston in it and go from there.
Have fun. sounds like my projects!!!

Old 06-09-03, 10:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Aluminum cylinder engines can get stuck just from sitting over time, and the rings rust, locking the engine. The cylinder could be fine, but the valves could be what is stuck, and keeping the engine from turning. Pull the head to find out. Is this a really old machine? Like a REO or something similar?

Old 06-11-03, 04:32 AM
Is this a really old machine? Like a REO or something similar?

Not sure how old it is. I will be at the store sometime today and will try to remember to get the numbers. Maybe someone here can tell from them. I'm not even sure what REO is. All I know right now is it has a metal tag on it that says' National' and the numbers. I am hoping it just sat for a long time and stuck. Even if that is the case, I will propably change the engines. At least while I disassemble the old one and check it out. I may want to keep it original. It has no catcher on it. Will it throw grass all over the operator?

Old 06-11-03, 10:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I doubt it, since it is a reel type mower, but I guess you'll find out when you try to cut with it. You might have to fashion a catcher/deflector for it. Let us know how it goes!