Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Starting Problem

Visiting Guest

06-09-03, 05:14 PM   #1  
pdltfc
5 HP Briggs & Straton Engine Won't start

I have removed the carb soaked it and blew it out with compressed air. Replaced the gaskets and diaphram. I am getting good spark at the plug, gas inside of carb but it still won't start.
I have also put a little gas in the combustion chamber but it only pops a little No Start . Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links

06-09-03, 05:47 PM   #2  
Have you checked the flywheel key? It may be out of time.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-09-03, 10:28 PM   #3  
I think Roger is probably on the right track. Did you hit something with the mower prior to the no-start condition? If so, you probably have a sheared flywheel key. Other possibilities could be a flooding carb, stuck valve, or bad spark plug. A new spark plug is often all that is needed.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

06-10-03, 05:58 AM   #4  
pdltfc
Thanks both for replying. The engine is on a go cart but I agree its a possibility. There's no float in carb to adjust . Just the idle air mixture screw. What would cause it to be flooding? How can I correct this condition? Thanks

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-10-03, 11:55 AM   #5  
Oh...a horizontal shaft engine, lol. Ok, it is probably not flooded. Check your compression, I bet a valve is stuck...these engines like to do that when exposed to weather or extended periods of no use. It would be worth checking the key too though.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

06-11-03, 11:56 AM   #6  
pdltfc
Thank You again for yor reply. I feel that more than likely that is the problem. Now is there any easy way out such as pouring something in the cylinder hole?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-11-03, 10:31 PM   #7  
Remove the plug and look inside the hole. You can see both valves from there. Turn the engine over while watching the valves. If one or both don't move up and down, you know that you have a stuck valve(s). Sometimes if the valve is just lightly stuck, you can get it loose by spraying some PB Blaster penetrating oil around it and pushing a little bit on it to get it to move, but too much pressure will bend or distort the valve. The best thing to do would be remove the head and the PCV valve, which is also the valve cover, and take the valve out. Then clean the valve guide and stem and reassemble with a new head gasket.

Let us know what you find!

God bless!

Visiting Guest

06-12-03, 09:59 AM   #8  
pdltfc
Thanks much I 'll let you know what happens.

Visiting Guest

06-18-03, 06:00 PM   #9  
pdltfc
No Start Briggs

Cheese, Thanks a bunch. You were right. The exhaust valve was stuck. PB Blaster was used and it was freed . Cleaned up the valve. Its now back together and running.

May God bless you also.. Paul

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-18-03, 09:53 PM   #10  
Good Job! I'm glad we could help you get it going!

Take care, and come back anytime!

God bless!

Search this Thread