Ignition Problems

Old 06-10-03, 09:22 AM
rjdeff
Visiting Guest
small murray tiller/tecumseh engine

I was running tiller in the garden when it gave a little pop. I noticed the 90 deg "elbow" on the spark plug wire was gone. It wont start, no fire. Is there a built in coil inside. If so how in the heck do you get to it? I have another "tecumseh" engine same size I could pull coil off of. Engine is Tecumseh TC II, TC300, 3175H (B) 2066CA. Its 2 years old, & sure beats the heck out of hoeing! Its been a great little tiller up until 2 days ago. Hope someone can help me. Wife is allready talking hoeing in the garden!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-03, 11:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Richard!

Remove the kill wire from the coil and check for spark. If you still have no spark, the coil is bad. If you do have spark, then there is a short to ground through on the kill wire due either to a defective kill switch, or a chaffed spot in the kill wire. Let us know what you find.

Old 06-11-03, 10:41 AM
rjdeff
Visiting Guest
murray tiller /tecumseh engine

My wife caught my nephew on his way out this morning, he's a mechanic, he tinkered with it for a few minutes & got it running just fine! I haven't talked to him yet, will talk to him this evening & find out whats going on with it. I'm tickled to death, I can tell wife to forget about hoeing! Just have to wait till it dries out some, it rained pretty good last night. Thanks, if it swarms again I know where to come. Good site to visit. I hope i replied in the right place.