Blade Sharpening

Old 06-11-03, 06:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Blade Sharpening

Are there any good rules of thumb or indications that your lawn mower blade needs sharpening? How can you tell if you have sharpened it enough?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-03, 04:02 PM
When it starts to tear the grass instead of cut it cleanly, it is time to sharpen it. If it has lots of dings in it, it is time to sharpen it.

Here is a how-to.

http://doityourself.com/lawn/sharpmowerblade.htm

Hope this helps.

Old 06-27-03, 06:27 PM
I am having trouble sharpening my mower blades. Craftsman lawn tractor I bought late last season. I removed both blades, and sharpened with a bench grinder, trying not to make the edge "too" sharp. (the blade was not razor sharp when the mower was new, but cut the grass just fine.)

After sharpening, I still noticed some of the grass being "torn" or shreaded. I then sharpened them again, this time using a dremel, figuring I could get into the mulching curves better. Same thing happened. Today I tried once again, using the bench grinder again, blades were slightly sharp to the touch. Seems I can't get the blades to the right sharpness so the grass gets cut cleanly. Today, at least, the grass was dry when cutting, other times it may have been damp. Not sure if this would play a role.

Thanks.

Dave

Old 06-27-03, 06:43 PM
I find that my tractor mows differently when the grass is moist and tender than when it is mature and drier.

Old 06-27-03, 10:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is no "too sharp" for lawnmower blades. If you are getting the angle right, and the blade installed properly, then you shouldn't have any problems, unless maybe your blades are not turning fast enough because of low engine speed or a loose belt.

Old 06-29-03, 08:00 AM
Cheese,

Throttle is on full, not sure about blade rotation/belt tightness. Is there an easy way to check if belts are tight? Doesn't make any funny squealing noises or anthing.

Mower has a 21.5 HP B&S V-Twin engine, so it's DEFINITELY powerful enough, and throttle is ALWAYS on FULL when mower is engaged.

Also, when mower was new (1 year ago) blades felt rather dull to the touch (not razor sharp by ANY means) and it cut fine from august of last year through the beginning of this season. Someone told me if I sharpen to a thin tip and razor sharp, it could dull much quicker and become blunt.

Thanks again!

Dave

Old 07-01-03, 04:02 PM
Nascar24Fan
Visiting Guest
Hi Dave,
Are you sure you are sharpening the cutting side of the blades? When blades become old/worn, the cutting side becomes very dull, kinda rounding on the edge. and the back side of the mower blades actually become sharper when worn. This is not meant to sound rude or to be an insult.

Old 07-01-03, 11:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Agreed, it is a possibility Nascar24Fan.

To check the belt tension, engage the blades, with the engine OFF, and feel the tension of the belt. If it is loose and sloppy, it is not tight enough. Do the blades spin up to full speed immediately when you engage them, or do they take a couple of seconds to reach full speed? If they take a few secs, then the belt is too loose.