Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Pull Cord Question

Visiting Guest

06-13-03, 07:48 AM   #1  
dsnyder
Craftsman II Mower Pull Cord Question

I have a Craftsman II Mower Model # 917 383340 (Super Pull Lite 4.0). The pull cord broke so I got a new cord and have tried to replace it. My problem is that I can't get the return spring to engage so I can wind tension onto the spring. As I spin it around to pretention the spring, I hear a small click as though the spring is slipping. Is there some trick to this? Otherwise, how does this come apart so I can figure out what the problem is with the spring? Everything worked fine prior to the rope breaking. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-13-03, 11:37 AM   #2  
Hello dsnyder!

Are you sure you are turning it the right way? If so, your spring is broken. I would suggest not trying to fix it for several reasons....the parts you will buy and time spent will be more than what you can buy the whole starter assy for, and the spring is a headache to deal with, and is dangerous. If you take it out, it can come flying out like a herd of rabid wolverines and cut you up.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

06-14-03, 05:41 AM   #3  
dsnyder
Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I went to the Sears Repair Shop and they could get me a new assembly for about $30 but it had to be ordered and would take two weeks to arrive. So, armed with a printed schematic they gave me and the knowledge I could get a new one if I broke it, I took it apart and I found the problem. I little metal tab the spring hooks to had to be bent out a little so the spring could catch it. After reassembling, everything worked fine. Great website!!!

Visiting Guest

06-14-03, 09:14 AM   #4  
Joe_F
FYI, Your mower was made by AYP (model prefix #917) which is American Yard Products, a division of Electrolux.

It is equipped with engine #143.404142 which is a Tecumseh engine. There is no need to go to Sears for parts all the time. Any mower shop dealing in Tecumseh parts would be able to give you the needed pullstart at a cheaper price than Sears

The #s you pull off the Sears.com (then parts) website are the manufacturer numbers. In this case, 143 is Tecumseh as the source code for Sears.

I have saved a lot of money over the years by going to the Sears website, grabbing the part #s and then finding out who the real manufacturer is. Then you can shop around for the parts that way, armed with more knowledge.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-14-03, 11:55 PM   #5  
Correct, AYP made the machine, tecumseh made the engine, and any local small engine shop should have parts for it. If they don't, they can usually order the stuff and have it much quicker than sears.

Glad you got it going!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread