Starting Problem

Old 06-14-03, 05:58 PM
amccrank
Visiting Guest
Angry Craftsman Eager-1 6.5 hp Not Starting

Hello I have a 22 inch craftsman eager-1 6.5 hp. I believe it is a tecumseh engine. Does anyone have a url with access to the manual and or how to repair. I'm not sure what the problem is, but did find a spit line in an upper tube from the carb to the engine. Replaced, replaced spark plug, new gas, added oil, car oil 50 weight. It get hot in Florida and my yard is dirty and dusty. I did hit something last time, however it did start that same day when it was hot. Any advice would be great. Sore arm needs advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-03, 07:45 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello and Welcome amccrank to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site and the Small Engine forum.

There are many other questions in this forum with engine start problems. The replies offered in those questions can offer you plenty of additional problem diagnostic help and solutions.

What needs to be known is if there is current to the spark plug.
Remove the plug and reattach the spark plug wire. Lay the spark plug down on the engine or deck and crank the engine. Look for a spark at the plug.

If you see a spark, try adding a few drops of fuel into the cyclender and replace the plug into the cyclinder and attach the wire to the plug. Crank the engine. It should run briefly or at least attempt to start.

If it does, may not be getting fuel through the fuel line or system into the carb. Also may not be getting out of the carb. Check the air filter while at it. Check for fuel flow out of the tank. Filter could be restricted.

I haven't covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Small engine repair parts are available at all local small engine repair shops and or lawn mower repair shops. They are listed in the phone book directory in every town.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.

Old 06-14-03, 11:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello amccrank!

Tom has you on track...check for spark. Then, if it is sparking, try the gas in the plug hole. If it runs, you have a fuel problem. If it doesn't, you may have a sheared flywheel key. If you have no spark, you have an ignition problem. Tell us the result of these tests and we'll help you get it going.

Old 06-17-03, 09:24 AM
amccrank
Visiting Guest
Wink Sheer pin

Yep it was the sheer pin, kicked back and almost broke my wrist.
I believe the shaft is just a hair bent. But if it runs it runs.

The Flywheel bored the slot hole out just a bit, so I may consider getting some parts in my inventory for the next time.

Thanks Guys this site helped out quite a bit.

Alan