Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Starting Problem

Visiting Guest

06-15-03, 08:57 AM   #1  
dsouthee
Craftsman 7.0 Mower will not start

My Craftsman 7.0 HP 21" power-propelled mower will not start. Spark plug is sparking, put several drops of gas in cylinder and drained, replaced gas with fresh gas. Engine does not want to crank at all. HELP!

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

06-15-03, 07:43 PM   #2  
Hello and Welcome dsouthee to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site and the Small Engine forum.

Possibly some confusion understanding your question. Engine starting and engine cranking are two different problems.

Cranking means unable to spin the engine when pulling the rope starter or using an electric starter. If the engine is seized, as if it ran out of oil and will not crank, the engine has serious internal problems.

If you can spin the engine with the starter and there is spark, most like fuel isn't getting into the carb or the engine. Also possible a valve is defective or the engine does not have compression, etc.

Kindly clearify what you mean by will not crank or will not start. Also explain what happened when you put some fuel into the cyclinder. You also mentioned drained. Drained what?

Help the pros in the forum help you. Read the already asked questions pertaining to engine starting problems. The solutions can be find within those questions and the replies in them.

Most likely I haven't covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Small engine repair parts, manuals and additional help are all available at all local small engine repair shops and or lawn mower repair shops. They are listed in the phone book directory in every town.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.

Visiting Guest

06-16-03, 03:45 AM   #3  
dsouthee
engine cranks, won't start

When I pull the rope to start the mower, it pulls as it always did, it just does not start at all. When my began, I started the mower, it ran rough and blew smoke. I turned it off, noticed the oil cap was loose. I filled up oil and gas and it has not started ever since.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-16-03, 10:41 PM   #4  
Hello dsouthee!

Is the spark plug wet with gas or oil? Does your oil smell like gas? Sounds like maybe the carb is flooding the engine, but checking these things will tell us if it is or not.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread