Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

pressure washers - gas

CANADA

06-15-03, 11:46 AM   #1  
pressure washers - gas

Want to buy a pressure washer - gas. Highest psi and gpm available <$500. Any recommendation/personal experience.

Many thanks,

Sponsored Links

VA

06-15-03, 04:18 PM   #2  
If the pw is for your own use only, a four to six hp B&S or Kohler will probably be fine. I doubt you'll find a Honda within your range.
Direct drive pumps can be problematic at times. General pumps have had a good reputation. Oh, aviod cheap hoses, get a high pressure hose that has double steel reinforcement (but more expensive). It's a safety thing!

If you plan on going into business your budget is way too low.

fred

CANADA

06-15-03, 04:28 PM   #3  
thanks for the input, looking for a unit for non-commercial applications, basically for use around the house/cottage.

Saw one at Walmart, 2200 2.2 gpm with a 6 hp B&S engine for <$500.

Hope to hear from others,

VA

06-15-03, 04:52 PM   #4  
That will do about anything for home owner use.

rememer 40 degree tip for decks/wood.
you can go to 25 or 15 for concrete.

Oh, don't expect it to remove paint without a chemical stripper.
It may do it, but it will damage the wood too.

good luck,
fred

06-15-03, 06:39 PM   #5  
My dad bought one from home depot for about $500. It has a 6.5 hp honda with a 2500 psi cat pump. It came with 4 tips. It works great.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-15-03, 10:11 PM   #6  
The only advice I have to add is: Try to stay away from the pressure washers with the engine mounted above the pump (vertical shaft engine). They are cheaply made, and generally don't last long. (I think I have 4 sitting at the shop now...all with good motors and bad pumps). Cat makes a good pump. Follow the after-use cleaning instructions to a "T". Also make sure you turn the unit off if you are not going to be spraying for more than 30seconds.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread