Starting Problem

Old 06-15-03, 01:55 PM
T. Robbins
Visiting Guest
14.5 briggs OHV

I'm thinking of buying a rider mower from a friend but I wanted to look it over first. He told me it would'nt crank. I'm not sure if the fuel shutoff solenoid is bad yet or not but the oil definately has gas in it. I guess it could be the float. The solenoid is warm when you leave the key on for a minute, not sure if that means it's working or not.

Also, I pulled the plug and gas drained out. I've since disconected the fuel line. Changed the oil and attempted to turn it over with the plug out. No problems turning it over with the plug out, but when you put the plug back in it won't crank. It's like it has to much compression. Infact if you get it to it just backfires real loud. Any ideas, and thanks for your help

Model # 287707
Type # 1224-E1

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-03, 06:24 PM
Ok. First off, you can check to see if the fuel shutoff solenoid is working by removing it and turning the key on and off, you should see the needle moving back and forth about a 1/4 of an inch. Second, the probable cause of the gas in oil problem is that the little needle valve connected to the float has trash stuck to it or trash stuck to it's seat. Another possible cause is the float might have a small hole in it and it is filled with gas, keeping the needle valve open. Either way, gas is flowing past that needle valve which is supposed to be closed and the gas is flowing straight into the cylinder where it is filling it up. The gas will eventually flow past the rings and into the base mixing with the oil. Since the cylinder is filled with gas, turning the engine over will cause a "hydrolic lock", in other works, the gas can not be compressed like air, thus giving a very hard to turn over problem. Continuing to turn the engine over like this could result in a bent/broken valve or bent/broken connecting rod. And last, the reason it backfires is because there is so much gas coming out the exhaust valve that it is still burning and continuing to burn in the muffler. I hope this helps you out.

Old 06-15-03, 06:47 PM
T. Robbins
Visiting Guest
Thanks very much
It's running like a champ now!

Old 05-28-08, 02:03 PM
question for you

i have the same lawn mower and my father disconnected the starter solenoid and of course forgot which wire goes where, could you send me a pic of your set so i can get this puppy running again. my grass is super high!!!!

thanx

Old 05-28-08, 10:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Put the starter cable to one big post, the battery cable and the small red wire to the other big post, and the 1 or 2 smaller wires with spade terminals on the spades at the base of the solenoid.