Mower Belt Change

Old 06-13-03, 12:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How Change Lawn Mower Belt

Hello am not sure this was the correct catagory to ask this but I need help changing the Drive Belt on a Crafsman walk behind mower. There is a plastic cover for the belt on the top of the housing which I was able to remove. My problem is there is also another debris shield for the drive belt under the housing behind the blade.I was able to remove the blade but the debris shield will not come off without removing the blade adaptor...How do I remove the blade adaptor...thanks for any help compaqguy200

Old 06-13-03, 01:22 PM
C
This Sears site may help. If you enter the part number it may take you to an owner's maual or exploded parts diagram to use.

http://www3.sears.com/

Hope this helps.

I moved this up here with the rest of the lawn mower and related posts.

Last edited by chfite; 06-13-03 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-13-03, 02:43 PM
Thanks for moving this to the correct location...I tried the Sears website had no luck...I also have the owners manual and all it states in the manual is to remove the debri cover but does not tell you how...What a bummer...Still need help thanks

Old 06-13-03, 07:15 PM
C
Craftsman lawnmower

Maybe someone will come along who has specific knowledge for you. I have a walk behind Toro and a Troy Bilt tractor, so I am no help.

Old 06-13-03, 08:20 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
First, spray the area above the blade adapter with a good penetrating oil. Shock (tap rather sharply) with a hammer the collar of the blade adaptor above the blade where it slides on the crankshaft. If this doesn't loosen the adaptor shortly you will need a two jaw pulley/gear puller. Once you have the puller, put the blade screw back in to about a half inch from all the way in. Set up your puller and pull it off. Auto Zone has a free tool loan service in my area and maybe you can locate something like that if you need a puller.....Mike

Old 06-14-03, 06:05 AM
S
Might give this a try

Think I've had the same problem you describe. I removed the engine (made it easier, but might not be necessary). The plastic shield had enough space to start the new belt into the grove on the pulley, simply spinning the shield around fed the new belt on.
Good luck...

Old 06-14-03, 07:41 AM
Thanks for both answers...Looks like it has a key slot on the shaft...My concern was whether the threads for the bolt were on the shaft itself or built into the blade adapter..I jJust want to make sure I understand before doing this..From what you said the threads are made in the shaft of the motor and not made in the blade adapter ...Is this correct before I do it ..thanks again for all the help

Old 06-14-03, 08:12 AM
On the far end of the debris cover it has like a 1/2 inch tab that slides into the housing of the lawn mower...Were you able to pry it from the slot to release the cover from the housing without damaging the cover..

Old 06-14-03, 11:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Correct, the threads are in the crankshaft, not the adaptor. Sometimes those things slip off really easily, other times they are a pain to remove, but it seems there is rarely a middle ground. Either it is loose, or it is stuck like glue, lol.

Old 06-17-03, 04:42 AM
Thanks for all the help and the detailed instructions....It worked like a charm we are back in business...thanks again compaqguy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: