Starting Problem

Old 06-16-03, 10:20 AM
Talking Operator Error

OK here we go. I was mowing on a hill and the rider began puking white smoke(oil from the crankcase caused by the incline) I was able to get the mower to level ground (still running) and the smoke stopped. The mower began to run poorly and louder so I took It to the garage and cleaned the oil fouled plug. It ran better but with a slight miss and still a little louder. I also noticed that it seemed to be running richer(a little black smoke from the muffler and an odor of unburned fuel). Well I didn't learn the first time and did it again. The mower really hated it this time and died but it started right back up. running poorly again I cleaned up the plug and finished the lawn (not the hill) while finishing the lawn the mower began running poorer, richer and louder till it finally died I still have good spark but it won't start so now what?

The motor is a Tecumseh XL-Tec 12 OHV on a riding mower 12horse

Thanks In Advance for any help or sugguestions that you can provide (YEA YEA I know no more hills)

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-03, 03:02 PM
Sparky,

It sounds like you may have forced some oil back through the crankcase breather in to the air breather. If the air breather is saturated with oil the engine will run rich and foul the plug. The oil in the breather doesn't allow the air to pass through it.
If this is your problem and the air filter is paper it will need to be replaced. If it is foam you may be able to squeeze enough oil out or clean it with gas.

Old 06-16-03, 05:39 PM
Thx I thought of that and removed the air filter and it still running rich. I took the carb off and did an aerosol overhaul and it runs better but it still surges, runs rich(I can see the fuel almost spraying out the back of the carb)and it lacks power. And still how is this associated with the whole hill oil thing?

Old 06-16-03, 10:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Sparky!

Start with a brand new spark plug...the oil tends to soak into the ceramic insulator and cause running problems...even though you do see a spark. If that doesn't do it, remove the PCV valve and clean it. The gas coming from the carb makes me wonder if the PCV is stopped up or soaked with oil, or maybe a valve lash problem, possibly even an exhaust restriction.

Old 06-17-03, 05:25 AM
Ok I will give that a try today and let you know. There is only one needle screw on this carb does anyone know it's correct setting? it is at about 1.5 turns from bottom. Thx

Search this Thread