Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Recycler Question

Visiting Guest

06-16-03, 01:20 PM   #1  
jaknik2
Toro Recycler Question

I am considering purchasing a Toro Recycler Model# 20017. This mower is highly rated in both Consumer Reports and Popular Mechanics.

My neighbor fiddles with small engine repairing and has nothing good to say about Tecumseh lawn mower engines. With that in mind, I asked the retailer if there were any problems with this model. The retailer stated that this model has cold/cool weather starting difficulties but that Toro was working on it. I called Toro but they had no records of complaints/problems of this type for this model.

Ok, what' Da truth?

Jak

Sponsored Links

06-16-03, 03:01 PM   #2  
A good rule of thumb that I have found to be very true on this forum is to NEVER ASK FOR OPINIONS ABOUT TECUMSEH. It seems that pretty much everyone has a strong dislike for them (except for you know who). A lot of the snowblower owners like them but that's about it. As for the mower, toro is a good choice. I have read on another forum that most people agree that the toro super recycler is a much better buy. Here's the link.

http://www.whatsthebest-lawnmower.co...=wtb-lawnmower

Do a search for toro recycler. I think you will be suprised by the amount of threads that involve this model. Seems that many people like toro super recycler mowers. Hope I answered your question.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-16-03, 10:35 PM   #3  
LOL

Hello Jak!

I haven't heard of any cold weather starting problems for tecumseh engines, but then again, I live in the deep south and it doesn't get below 20 here very often. When it does, nobody is trying to start their lawnmower, hehe.

The mower you are considering is not the top of the line, and not the bottom. It is a decent mower, and if it has the features you like and the price you want, it is probably the right mower for you. You have done more than a lot of people just by reading the consumer reports before making a decision. I think the retailer's story is just that...a story. Toro would not be working on correcting a cold-start problem, because Toro does not make the engine. Tecumseh makes the engine.

Do you need to run your mower in cold weather?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

06-17-03, 03:41 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Jak:

Sounds like your neighbor has never seen a snowblower or doesn't own one. Just about EVERY snowblower out there is Chief powered.

I own two of them and they run and run. They also start right up. One of my units is from 1965 and ate through this winter like a champ with nary a hitch. Not bad for a $180 used machine I knew nothing about its history and I had bought in January. I did some maintenance to it, that's it. Runs great.

I also run Chief powered lawn mowers (Sears), with no problems. Two of those. Shoot, I've even taken some from the trash and restored them with TLC and nothing else.

The only "dead" machine I have (Mike Merritt of this forum and I are working on that) is a Little Wonder edger with a 3.5 Briggs. It clanks and knocks---we're going to rebuild this one through the mail. LOL!

I think a lot of opinions on Tecumseh engines in general are based more on ignorance and less on actual experience.

Equipment manufacturers such as snowblower companies have a choice, so why choose Tec if it's a problem?

Visiting Guest

06-17-03, 03:57 PM   #5  
jaknik2
Clarification

Joe_F

My neighbor is a die hard Toro guy. Everything he has is a Toro, including his snowblower. His Toro mower is an older one with, I believe, a Suzuki or Kawasaki engine. I have a Toro S-200 snowblower myself, it's old but it works.

Cheese

No, I don't mow in 20 degree weather but in the spring and fall I very well could be trying to start a mower when the temp is 40 degrees plus. A lawn mower that won't start, especially if a new one, tends to "heat up" the surrounding area.......me.

I am debating between the 20017 and the Super Recycler 20037. This is important because the 20017 is $369 and the 20037 is approximately $500.

mower17

I guess I should have limited it to Tecumseh LAWN MOWER engines. So, what is the main beef with these engines?

Appreciat all of your collective comments......Jak

06-17-03, 05:59 PM   #6  
As joe stated, Tecumseh engines are very good engines. I have heard rumors that tecumseh engines are kown for cracking the block. I had this happen to me before. It was on a mower that was cutting twice as much grass as it was made to be used for plus it was a hot day plus it was ten years old plus it slept outside plus it was the cheapest mower sears sold, so I would say they are good. The only thing that keeps coming to my mind is that most mower companies (except murray and a few others) use a few tecumseh engines, but that's it. Briggs are used way more. Obviously something is up, however, pretty much every snowblower is powered by tecumseh, so it makes you kind of rethink your opinion. I have only had experience with one tecumpseh so I really can't give you much of an opinion.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-18-03, 12:32 AM   #7  
A good way to get the general opinion of tecumseh engines would be to go to google.com and do a search on the subject. There have been some controversies on the subject in this forum, and a quick search of the topic would bring up previous discussions for you to review.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

06-20-03, 07:28 PM   #8  
jaknik2
Toro Recycler 20017 Update

First of all, I would like to thank all you respondees for your input. Secondly, I will update the situation. It appears I went shopping for a new mower late in the season, so to speak. Many retailers had sold their inventory and were not ordering any more.

The situation boiled down to choosing between the 20017 and the 20037. Right, wrong or indifferent, I just couldn't accept the idea of paying $500+ for a lawn mower. Even the $359 was hard to swallow. So, I am now the proud owner? of a Toro Recycler 20017. As advertised, it did start on the 1rst or 2nd pull after I got home with it (actually the 1rst).

I will not clog up bandwidth unecessarily. but I will report in later with my personal comments about this mower. The first thing I noticed that perked my alert system is that there is no manual choke or throttle control. One speed and you may be at the mercy of whatever the choke apparatus is.

We will see how this plays out. Once again, thanks for your comments.

Jak

Visiting Guest

06-20-03, 07:38 PM   #9  
jaknik2
Tooro 20017 PS

One thing I found to be a bit extreme is the mfr's requirement to change the oil after 2 hours usage (breakin period). But I guess to keep the warranty valid that's how it has to be.

Jak

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-20-03, 07:42 PM   #10  
Congrats on your new mower! Thanks for keeping us posted! We will look forward to hearing "progress reports" on its' performance.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

06-28-03, 07:03 PM   #11  
jaknik2
Recycler 20017 Update

I have cut the lawn 3 times with this mower. I am quite pleased with it.

Jak

LA

07-03-03, 05:38 AM   #12  
You'll be fine with the indian on your block. My personal experience is that the Tecumseh engines have a poor rep from the old guys like me because years back they didn't run unless everything was just right (it seemed the Briggs would limp along long enough for you to at least finish your yard) and they were a real pain to work on. We didn't like having to set the timing when replacing the coil, the steel flywheel key, etc...
It's my judgement that the newer T's are pretty good engines.

Visiting Guest

07-03-03, 05:53 AM   #13  
Joe_F
I love my old Tecumsehs. LOL. My '65 and '79 Craftsmans run nicely. The 1979 is undergoing some refurbishing (carburetor rebuild, new muffler, etc). The 1965 runs well and sounds quite commanding when it's running.

I will say after sitting for how many years (Unknown, the machine was given to me), the 1979 fired up on the fourth try by cleaning the spark plug, putting new oil, and filling the tank with gasoline . I didn't even prime it. LOL.

Search this Thread