chainsaw wont start

Old 06-16-03, 05:56 PM
framust
Visiting Guest
poulan chainsaw wont start

i have a poulan wild thing chainsaw I bought as a factory recon on ebay.the saw ran for about an hour, then was not able to start at all or with great difficulty the 30 day warranty had expired also.at any rate I tried to start it again this spring and three days later I gave up and took it to a poulan dealer.after a 3 week wait they returned it to me and said it had a deep gouge in the cylinder and was not getting enough compression and thats why it wont start. I dissembled the engine and there waws a vertical gouge in the cyl. about .025 deep and .50 wide.caused by a defective ring which had a point sticking out about .025 30degrees fom the gap.I filled the gouge with J B weld and installed a new ring the unit has plenty of comtression and an excellent spark,a new plug. and I also disassembled the carb and all is well there,BUT,no matter the saw will not even burp or show any signs of trying to run.If any of you have any inkling or suggestions PLEEEEEEASE HELP

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-03, 09:45 PM
I am sorry to tell you but the cylinder is shot. J B Weld is a compound made for light fixes. If you were ever able to get it started, the jb weld would just melt. You can buy a new cylinder block, but it would probably cost about the same price or more than a brand new saw. Sounds like you did a good job with getting the saw ready, but that gouge is unfixable.

Old 06-16-03, 10:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello framust!

Wow, quite an attempt you made, but I have to agree with mower17....it will not work. As mentioned, even if you did get it started, it probably would not run for more than a minute. You need a new cylinder, and possibly a piston.

Old 06-17-03, 08:01 AM
framust
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick answers,mower 17,etc.But if the engine has compression and gas and spark WHY wont it start.I always considered my self good on engines.but it has me stumped. I never expected it to run tooo long with the JB weld but at least it should start. Any Ideas PLease???? Framust

Old 06-17-03, 09:14 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Fram:

If you squirt some fuel in the chamber, will it fire? If so, you still have a fuel problem.

Also the compression STILL may not be good enough to start the engine. How did you measure the compression?

Old 06-18-03, 10:47 AM
framust
Visiting Guest
HI joe
read your post .I thought I knew engines .but this will not fire even with gas into the cy. or ether or anywhere from a half turn to 3 turns on the low needle.as I said it has good spark and gas .I dont have a compression gauage but if I put my thumb on the plug hole it will blow it off.I dont know what the pressure should be anyhow.when I put in the new ring the piston seemed a good close fit.any more ideas??? Thanks Framust

Old 06-18-03, 01:38 PM
First off, it is a general rule that poulans are made to last about 100 hours of use. Second, a good way to test compression is to hold the started rope and let go of the saw. If the saw falls like a yo-yo, then it is finished. If the compression is strong enough to support the wait of the saw, then compression is not your problem.