Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

gas in air filter

Visiting Guest

06-17-03, 04:21 AM   #1  
groovydogg
gas in air filter

I have a craftsman 5.3 hp walk behind mower. It needed a new aif filter for a while but I was able to get by with knocking the dust our of it. eventually that didn't cut it. Being lazy (and wanting to finish one last mow) I took the filter off my craftsman high wheel mower/weed wacker and put it on the other mower. it fit on the intake but the filter part is bigger (like twice as big). I rubberbanded it on and started it. It ran fine for about 15 minutes then stalled out. Lots of gas came pouring out of the filter. Maybe 2-3 ounces. I was on mostly level ground. Thinking it may be a fluke, I started it again. It took many pulls but started, ran fine and the same thing happened, 2-3 ounces of gas came out the filter. I know I need an air filter, and I am expecting to rebuild the carb, but is there anything I should look out for? By running it for so long with a clogged filter could the increased suction have caused any other problems?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-17-03, 01:41 PM   #2  
Sounds like the carb rebuild would probably do the trick. I think the float is bad or the needle is not sealing for some reason.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread