gas in air filter

Old 06-17-03, 05:21 AM
groovydogg
Visiting Guest
gas in air filter

I have a craftsman 5.3 hp walk behind mower. It needed a new aif filter for a while but I was able to get by with knocking the dust our of it. eventually that didn't cut it. Being lazy (and wanting to finish one last mow) I took the filter off my craftsman high wheel mower/weed wacker and put it on the other mower. it fit on the intake but the filter part is bigger (like twice as big). I rubberbanded it on and started it. It ran fine for about 15 minutes then stalled out. Lots of gas came pouring out of the filter. Maybe 2-3 ounces. I was on mostly level ground. Thinking it may be a fluke, I started it again. It took many pulls but started, ran fine and the same thing happened, 2-3 ounces of gas came out the filter. I know I need an air filter, and I am expecting to rebuild the carb, but is there anything I should look out for? By running it for so long with a clogged filter could the increased suction have caused any other problems?

Old 06-17-03, 02:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
Sounds like the carb rebuild would probably do the trick. I think the float is bad or the needle is not sealing for some reason.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: