Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn tractor

PA

06-17-03, 11:46 AM   #1  
Lawn tractor

I have a Mtd 14.5 hp ohv lawn tractor that I'm having trouble with. The engine was cranking intermittingly and very slow. Not enough to start the mower.( sometime it would not crank at all) I had the battery checked and it was fully charged. I cleaned the terminals and the grounds with a wire brush so they are making solid clean contact. Next I replaced the solenoid and the engine fired right up three or four times in a row and then started to crank real slow again with not enough power to start. The mower is only three years old. Does anyone have any idea's for me to try next? Once the engine starts it will run until I turn it off. I appreciate any help.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-17-03, 01:35 PM   #2  
Hello ThomasB!

You need to adjust your valves. They are too loose, and not allowing the compression release work properly. Common problem on OHV engines with solid lifters. Set both valves at about .004".

Let us know how it goes!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

06-18-03, 05:36 AM   #3  
Cheese

Thanks for the info. One more question , in what postion are the valves when they are to be adjusted? are they both open or both closed. And how do i find out when the piston is in the tdc postion.( since I can not look down onto the piston) .

Thanks for your help.

ThomasB

06-18-03, 01:17 PM   #4  
You set the intake valve on the compression or power stroke and set the exhaust valve on the intake or compression stroke. If you remove the spark plug you can feel when the air stops coming out the hole, then the piston is at top dead center.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-18-03, 10:11 PM   #5  
You need to set the valves at exactly Top Dead Center, or the compression release can/will interfere with your reading, and cause you to set the valves incorrectly. Rotate the engine by hand with the spark plug out and your finger over the plug hole. When you feel air pushing against your finger, you are coming close to TDC. Then, use a thin screwdriver inserted into the plug hole to feel the top of the piston. When the piston gets to its' top-most position, you are at TDC. Set your valves there.

God bless!

PA

06-20-03, 10:35 AM   #6  
Mtd tractor 14.5 ohv

cheese

Thanks for the advice on the valves, I adjusted them and the tractor fired right up and ran fine.

I ran into a slight problem after I got the tractor started , When I put it into reverse the engine started and bogged down and stalled out. I restarted the tractor and cut my grass for over an hour with no problem. i tried reverse again and it stalled. What do you think the problem is. any advice.

Thanks everyone

ThomasB

MD

06-20-03, 01:48 PM   #7  
Did you have the cutting deck down. They have a safety switch in the shift lever that kills the engine if it is put in reverse and the deck is down.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-20-03, 07:44 PM   #8  
Gary is correct, MTD has a ground tab that contacts the shifter handle which kills the engine when shifted into reverse only when the blades are engaged.

God bless!

Search this Thread