Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ignition Problems

Visiting Guest

06-17-03, 06:17 PM   #1  
racer
no spark,then spark

I am working on a golf course push mower for mowing the greens and it is the wierdest thing I have ever saw. It is a two stroke Jacobson horizontal shaft don't know the horse power or can't find the model # on the engine. The problem is that when I test for spark it will fire and the next time I pull it there is no spark. Sometimes I can pull it 5 times before it will spark. When it does fire it looks like good spark but I put gas in the plug hole and it won't attempt to start at all. It has points so could they be dirty or could it need new points? Can I change it to a solid state coil?Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-18-03, 12:20 AM   #2  
Sounds like you need to replace the points. I am not familiar with that engine, so I can't tell for sure if you can install solid state on it or not. If the engine is magneto-fired, then you probably can.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

06-18-03, 02:36 AM   #3  
racer
Thanks cheese I will take a closer look at it and let you know how it goes.

Visiting Guest

06-18-03, 04:47 PM   #4  
racer
I think I may have found the problem. I pulled off the pull starter to take a look at the points and I noticed that the piece that supports the spark plug wire away from the flywheel is broken. I then noticed that the plug wire was wearing against the flywheel and the wire itself was exposed. So I guess that the wire was grounding out against the flywheel sometimes when I would pull it over testing for spark and sometimes it was away from the wheel allowing it to fire. I hope thats all it is because it will be a quick fix.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-18-03, 10:05 PM   #5  
Yep...that sounds like a pretty good candidate. Let us know!

God bless!

Visiting Guest

06-19-03, 04:45 PM   #6  
racer
That was the problem. I fixed the wire with some liquid electric tape and put the wire back in its holder and it fired right up.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-19-03, 07:32 PM   #7  
Good job, Hope you got it strapped back out of the way, so it doesn't happen again.

God bless!

Search this Thread