Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

engine runs, but won't mow

Visiting Guest

06-18-03, 03:46 AM   #1  
hardyhunter
engine runs, but won't mow

I have an Intek twin cylinder 20hp engine on a Wizard lawn tractor.
Recently, I've experienced two problems, and wonder if they are related. First, the engine would start fine with the choke closed, but when I opened the choke after warmup, engine would die. I have drained the gas tank to see if there was a filter inside there, and have taken an inline filter off to blow through it(seems fine).
The next problem seems somewhat related. I could start the mower, and with the choke half closed, could engage the blades by using the engage switch. Then, it progressed to the point where if I engaged the blades, the engine died. Now, after starting the engine, and pulling the engage button for the blades, no blade engagement is made.
Thanks in advance for any troubleshooting advice.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-18-03, 03:50 PM   #2  
hardyhunter
Wizard mower won't mow

[No Mow in MO]

[The following details apply to the mower I have a problem with.
We bought the mower new in 1997.

Wizard 90th Anniversary Special Edition
Model 407777
Type 0121E1
Code 990401YG]

[engine runs, but won't mow ]

[I have an Intek twin cylinder 20hp engine on a Wizard lawn tractor.
Recently, I've experienced two problems, and wonder if they are related. First, the engine would start fine with the choke closed, but when I opened the choke after warmup, engine would die. I have drained the gas tank to see if there was a filter inside there, and have taken an inline filter off to blow through it(seems fine).
The next problem seems somewhat related. I could start the mower, and with the choke half closed, could engage the blades by using the engage switch. Then, it progressed to the point where if I engaged the blades, the engine died. Now, after starting the engine, and pulling the engage button for the blades, no blade engagement is made.
Thanks in advance for any troubleshooting advice.]

06-18-03, 08:06 PM   #3  
hardyhunter,

It sounds like you may have some water in the carburetor. This carburetor is hard to work on. You need to remove the bowl of the carburetor and see what is in it. Did you find any water in the tank or fuel filter?
Before you do anything you could try a dewatering agent like Heat.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-18-03, 09:51 PM   #4  
Hello Hardyhunter!

I agree that you have carburetor problems. Removing the float bowl would be the best way to correct the problems. It is not the easiest carb to get to, as Roger mentioned, but not a very big job. Clean out the bowl, and use carb cleaner to spray out the carb. Wear safety glasses when using the carb cleaner.

Let us know if you run into trouble!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

06-20-03, 06:16 AM   #5  
Your Questions Have Been Merged

Hello: hardyhunter

Requesting a small favor please.

Your 2 questions has been merged into this single question.

Please use the REPLY button for all additional correspondence on this subject pertaining to your mower.

Doing so allows the entire subject to remain together for easier reading, following along and posting of replies.

Your co-operation in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Regards & Good Luck
Web Site Host & Forum Moderator.

Search this Thread