Need new mower quickly

Old 06-18-03, 06:03 AM
Question Need new mower quickly

OK folks. We finally had our baby so I do not have much time to search for a mower. My snapper mower S--- the bed. It was an ugly old, (I rebuilt) self propelled that does not self propel. The engine is "clanking" when running and labors easily under even the lightest grass. I am tired of playing mr. fixit on this thing.

So, my friend told me he got a Husqvarna 5521rs from a local hardware place. He loves it. It was around $350 pre-tax. Does anyone have any insight on this unit OR another that would be higher recomended than that for a similar price? I read the consumer reports on the John Deere JS63C but they quoted it at approx 410 when everywhere I look its 540. What gives? Thanks. Peace: e3

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-03, 10:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Spamman!

Deciding on a good push mower can be really hard to do. There are so many brands out there. Most are no better than each other. Keep in mind that almost every mower you look at will be built by 3 manufacturers. AYP makes the Husquavarna mowers, along with some sears mowers, rally, yard pro, poulan, roper, weedeater, and many more. MTD makes cub cadet, yard machines, bolens, troy-bilt, turf pro, and several others. Murray makes dynamark, and scotts and stanley if I recall correctly. This is deceptive in my opinion, but it's the way things are.

To get away from the megamarketing whirlwind, snapper and JD are still snapper and JD. Thing is, both of them are using some lower end engines on some of their cheaper equipment to make their name available to individuals in a lower spending bracket. JD and snapper both use the same engines on some of their equipment that Murray uses on some of their mowers at Wal-Mart. If I was in the market to buy a mower, and was willing to spend a little, I would look for a mower with a honda or kawasaki engine. A cast aluminum frame would also be nice. You will pay a good bit, but you can expect many years of trouble-free service.

If these are more than you intend to spend, then the best thing to do would be pay no attention to brand name, and just look for the mower with the best price that has the features you want.

Old 06-19-03, 03:54 AM
maadi_griffin
Visiting Guest
back in 1988 i bought an 18 horse MTD from Heckingers for $1200. i'm still using it and it cuts the lawn better than my neighbors $5000 deere.
i've used it to haul rocks, wood, cement, you name it and i've even accidently sunk it half way in the pond once. i've stored it outside during some winters and in the rain.
it still runs strong, even when i cut thru heavy weeds. am i happy with it?

Old 06-19-03, 04:25 AM
I had wanted the JD but also heard that you can buy a JD at Home Depot or other big chain and get a lesser piece of equipment where they use lesser quality internals. Maybe that is why Consumers Reports had a 150 cheaper than the local JD delaer? The Husqvarna I am looking at is around 350 to 400 (my price range) and has a 5.5hp Honda engine, and a good deal of options except for blade brake clutch. Not sure I really need that. Is Husqvarna a good quality unit? I would get it at my local hardware store and they are real good people there. I am being spoiled borrowing my father in laws Ariens mower. THAT is out of my price range. I think he spent around 650.

Any thoughts on the husqvarna equipment?

Consumers Reports showed a % repair scale for many brands (Snapper was worst at like 22% needed repair where toro was 8%) But nothing on the Husky.

Peace: e3

Old 06-19-03, 06:12 AM
i bought a walk behind from Kmart 6 years ago. i have no idea who makes it - has the typical 5 hp B&S engine. this was $200 (it was returned) and was self propelled, had mulch, side discharge and bagging. i wanted those 3 combinations and this was a great price. BUT - i use the mulch 90% of the time and it does not mulch that well. i do not know if it is the blade (have had it sharpened) design or the mower design.

long story short - be sure you know what you want. i do not think it is a bad idea to buy lower end and plan on replacing every 5 years.

my Kmart mower starts up pretty good after 6 years. the only maint. i have done is iol change every year (except last year) and sharper the blade every 2 years.

Old 06-19-03, 06:51 AM
Habs, You may be letting your grass get a little tall or your blade may need sharpening to mulch good.

I also bought the low end "Murray" for my 1st mower. The engine threw a rod straight through the block and made a hole the size of a golf ball :{ Bought a Craftsman 3 in 1 self propelled and have had it now 5 years. It starts on the 1st pull even after winter and performs excellent about $300.00

Habs, just noticed you had the blade sharpened already so scrap that idea lol.

Old 06-19-03, 07:16 AM
correct - i cut the grass too much lately. where i live we have great grass growing conditions.... about two months of 60 - 70 degrees, 3 inches of rain a month, and a lot more clouds than sun. i cut every 5 or 6 days but it really needs it aver 3 or 4.

i like to keep my yard nice but my kids are more important (don;t let the grass know that!!)

Old 06-19-03, 01:11 PM
So far what I have heard is my old saying about cars.

Ford/Chevy = last 10 yrs but service it every year
Toyota/Honda = last 10 years and do nothing to it

e3

Old 06-19-03, 06:14 PM
I am really partial to Honda power equipment. I have had great luck with my Honda's. Check out the link below for the details.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/hr215hma.htm

Old 06-19-03, 08:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Spamman....the husquavarna should be a fine machine. As mentioned, it is built by AYP, and I have found that husquavarna equipment always has the best of AYPs parts on it. (thicker decks, better engines, etc...). It is built to a higher standard than most. The JD you see at the depot is also available at john deere dealers....same exact thing. In fact, the agreement between HD and JD is that HD cannot sell JD equipment for less than it is available for at the JD dealers. That is not to say that independent dealers actually carry these mowers...that is up to them, but they can get them. The line of JD equipment sold by HD is a consumer grade product, not what you might expect to get when you buy the green and yellow.