Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

No Ignition Spark

Visiting Guest

06-19-03, 03:03 PM   #1  
wallyk
JD 116 with B&S 16HP eng won't start

there is no spark to the plugs, I removed the plugs (2) and then put the wire back on and then cranked the engine and there is no spark. I tried the plugs on my lawnmower so they do work. Is the points or is it the coil? Does anyone know how to test these items? I'm not sure if I have electronic points, how do I tell? How do I test the coil? The engine cranks over very fast and I checked the gas to the carbuerator and I can see it coming in to the carb when I crank the engine. I also took off the gas-line hose and cleaned out the gas filter. This is a briggs & stratton engine and I have never replaced any points or anything as I bought the JD 16 lawn tractor used. So, I need to know how to find the points and how to test them and also how to check the coil. Thanks in advance for your help...

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-19-03, 07:37 PM   #2  
Hello wallyk!

That engine doesn't have points. To check the coil, look on the side of the engine for a single black wire that has a small white connector on it, connecting it to another wire. Unplug it. Then check for spark. If you have spark, then the wire that runs from the mower to the engine that you disconnected has a short to ground somewhere, possibly a bad safety switch. If it does not spark, remove the flywheel shroud and unplug the same wire from the coil. Check for spark then. If still no spark, your coil is bad.

Let us know how it goes!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

07-24-03, 02:23 AM   #3  
wallyk
the coil was bad!

It was the coil alright...thanks for the help.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-24-03, 08:25 PM   #4  
Anytime, Glad we could help!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread