Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wiring

Visiting Guest

06-20-03, 09:58 PM   #1  
flgthumb
Wiring

Hi,

I am replacing a 25 hp kohler command engine with a 27 hp liquid cooled kawasaki engine i have just purchased. I am wondering if anyone could help with information about retrofitting the wiring to work. What I am worried mostly about is if the output (the amperage) will be the same from both engines, and if it is different, how to make it correct. I have found some information, but don't know the exact output of the voltage regulator of the two different engines. From what I have found without talking to dealers yet is that the Kawasaki says it has a 20 amp charging system. I'm not sure of the Kohler.
This is for a toro commercial mower. I need to add gauges for the coolant and oil pressure, but i'm not sure of what to do about connecting to the ignition switch and the electric clutch switch. I can figure out the wiring, but not sure about the electrical compatability with the switches that are there allready. Would it make a difference. Also if there was a difference in the amperage of the output, could it effect the electric clutch. Can anyone help with this. I know that the voltage is still the same, i'm just not sure where ad what effect the voltage regulator and what role it would play in all this. I hope this makes sense

Thank You

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

06-21-03, 07:32 AM   #2  
Hello and Welcome flgthumb to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site and the Small Engine forum.

Your question is valid and also unique to the forum. Which means there isn't any prior questions and replies to refer to in the forum.

If I am reading and understanding the description and questions, the engine is a self contained replacement engine. Therefore, the only remote parts would be the kill switch and option gauges.

If your concerned with the start/stop <kill> switch, not to worry. Replacement toggle or rocker on/off switches are readily available at automotive parts stores.

Automotive switches are dc current like the small engines electrical system and these switches handle much higher amperes than the current or replacement engine produces.

The forums other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Small engine repair parts, manuals and additional help are all available at all local small engine repair shops and or lawn mower repair shops. They are listed in the phone book directory in every town.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically & keeps all communications in this one thread.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-23-03, 12:26 AM   #3  
Hello flgthumb!

The Kohler probably has a 20 amp alternator also, but some of them did have a 15 amp. Either way, it will not affect the PTO clutch, and the same ammeter should work fine.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread