starting problem

Old 06-22-03, 03:17 PM
racer
Visiting Guest
starting problem

I am working on an old 2 cycle lawnboy pushmower. It will start but it will die right away after about 3 seconds and it won't even stay running even if I keep primming it. I cleaned the carb and it was really gummed up really bad since it has been sitting for about 3 years. The fuel flow from the tank is good. The needle and seat are in good condition and the float. there is two screws on the top of the carb that look like sprockets are those the high and low speed screws? I am new to working on these lawnboys I am used to working on briggs and also tecumseh. Do you think that i didn't get all of the gum and varnish out of the carb? Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-03, 03:45 PM
If it's one of those models that have the exhaust routed under the deck, then it might need to be cleaned out. Carbon will eventually build up in there and restrict the exhaust.

Old 06-23-03, 12:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree...the exhaust if known to clog on these. The screws you mentioned may be the H and L screws, but I'm not sure about the "sprocket" design you mentioned. Does fuel enter the carb throat when you push the primer?

Old 06-23-03, 05:16 PM
racer
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys I guess I will check the exhaust for a restriction and I'm not sure if there is fuel entering the chamber when I prime it I guess I will check that too.

Search this Thread