Pulling a flywheel

Old 06-25-03, 02:20 AM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
Question Pulling a flywheel

I have a Briggs & Stratton 12 HP I/C engine...model - #281707, type - 0412-01, code - 90113031. It has 2 5/16"-18 holes for pulling. I've put a puller on it, but I can't get it to pop off, even with an impact wrench. It is a cast iron flywheel. My question is...would I being doing some harm to the flywheel by heating with an acetylene torch? I need a little advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-03, 03:01 AM
Heat wouldn't hurt the flywheel but it might be a good idea to keep the heat off of the alternator magnets under the flywheel. Also, putting heat on the crankshaft will slow the top seal to be exposed to more heat than it is made for, and allowing a seal to be exposed to heat will make it get soft and leak oil. Did you try soaking it with PB Blaster?

Old 06-25-03, 01:46 PM
Ron Hatinger
Visiting Guest
Hello,

You can also try puller again with the impact wrench then after it has tention on it, you can try hitting the center bolt on the puller. this has worked many of time for flywheels and hubs.

This might mushroom the bolt on the puller. But the Jolt from the hammer plus the pressure normally works with out heat. All else fails try Heat.

Good Luck...

Ron H.

Old 06-25-03, 07:19 PM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
Ron,
I really appreciated your tip (hitting the end of bolt with a hammer), it worked like a charm. Thanks again.