mower trouble

Old 06-26-03, 07:23 PM
stooge
Visiting Guest
mower trouble

I have a propelled Craftsman mower which won't start and need some help. Basically, I overfilled the oil prior to an oil change and was warming it up when it started smoking (burning oil). Since then it won't start. If I leave it for a day or so, it sounds like it wants to turn over on the first pull (without priming), but successive pulls are useless. I pulled off the head to inspect, cleaned a bunch of black soot and charred oil, not completely though.

I replaced the plug, which was gunked up. A buddy suggested opening up the carb and cleaning it up, which I haven't done yet. Does this sound like a plan? Thanks.

Stooge

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-03, 05:43 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Drain the oil and refill to capacity. Change the spark plug and gap accordingly.

Shoot some Gumout or fuel into the cylinder. If it fires up and runs and dies out in a few seconds, you have a fuel problem. I'd say carburetor rebuild time.

Old 06-27-03, 10:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check the air filter to be sure it hasn't been soaked with oil. Also check the spark plug to be sure it is not covered with oil.

Old 07-05-03, 06:11 PM
stooge
Visiting Guest
A new plug and filter did the trick. I guess I didn't notice on my initial inspection of the filter, but it was pretty nasty and sopped with oil. Started her up, changed the oil, refilled and she purrs like a kitten. Thanks.

stooge

Old 07-06-03, 01:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it going! It's easy to overlook the filter when it gets soaked with oil because it's not obviously full of dirt and trash.