Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

mower trouble

Visiting Guest

06-26-03, 07:23 PM   #1  
stooge
mower trouble

I have a propelled Craftsman mower which won't start and need some help. Basically, I overfilled the oil prior to an oil change and was warming it up when it started smoking (burning oil). Since then it won't start. If I leave it for a day or so, it sounds like it wants to turn over on the first pull (without priming), but successive pulls are useless. I pulled off the head to inspect, cleaned a bunch of black soot and charred oil, not completely though.

I replaced the plug, which was gunked up. A buddy suggested opening up the carb and cleaning it up, which I haven't done yet. Does this sound like a plan? Thanks.

Stooge

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-27-03, 05:43 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Drain the oil and refill to capacity. Change the spark plug and gap accordingly.

Shoot some Gumout or fuel into the cylinder. If it fires up and runs and dies out in a few seconds, you have a fuel problem. I'd say carburetor rebuild time.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-27-03, 10:41 PM   #3  
Check the air filter to be sure it hasn't been soaked with oil. Also check the spark plug to be sure it is not covered with oil.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

07-05-03, 06:11 PM   #4  
stooge
A new plug and filter did the trick. I guess I didn't notice on my initial inspection of the filter, but it was pretty nasty and sopped with oil. Started her up, changed the oil, refilled and she purrs like a kitten. Thanks.

stooge

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-06-03, 01:45 AM   #5  
Glad you got it going! It's easy to overlook the filter when it gets soaked with oil because it's not obviously full of dirt and trash.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread