Help ID mower cable please

Old 06-25-03, 03:40 PM
indigo997
Visiting Guest
Question Help ID mower cable please

The self-propel mechanism on our 22" push mower stopped working. We took the lever apart and found that whatever was keeping the wire attached had come off. After a lot of searching, we found a little crimping piece to attach to the end of the wire to hold it in place. When we went to try it out, the wire snapped further down.

Now I need to replace the whole cable. I've looked at several local places, and noone carries it or knows where to get one.
Can someone please atleast identify this piece so I know what to look for?
One guy said he might be able to order it if I find a parts number. If anyone knows where to find that number or order this part, PLEASE let me know.

The mower is a Roper model AP62AR.
A photo of the cable is at http://www.pbase.com/image/18261624

(The little piece that the top end of the cable has to connect to is also shown in the picture. There's a little hole that the wire goes through. I'd also appreciate knowing what we are really supposed to use to keep the wire attached.)

Old 06-25-03, 05:43 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Here is a site that will search through Roper mower parts for you.

http://www.rcpw.com/Oem_Parts.htm

HTH

Old 06-25-03, 09:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello indigo!

Many times, cables have part #s printed or stamped on the plastic sheath. Otherwise, a small engine shop with AYP books should be able to look up the part by application with your model#. The link to the pic is not working for me, so I don't know which cable you are talking about. Sounds like maybe a safety bar cable on the handle. Many times you can use a cable made for a different mower in place of the one that is broken...carry your old one to a shop and see if they can find a match.

Old 06-25-03, 09:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello indigo!

Many times, cables have part #s printed or stamped on the plastic sheath. Otherwise, a small engine shop with AYP books should be able to look up the part by application with your model#. The link to the pic is not working for me, so I don't know which cable you are talking about. Sounds like maybe a safety bar cable on the handle. Many times you can use a cable made for a different mower in place of the one that is broken...carry your old one to a shop and see if they can find a match. AYP also makes many craftsman mowers, rally, weedeater, and many other mowers, and parts are often shared between them.

Old 06-27-03, 08:46 PM
indigo997
Visiting Guest
It's the long cable that goes from the lever on the handle down to pull the mechanism that turns on the propulsion that makes the wheels turn automatically.
We've tried 5 places and been told that they can't find the part without a part number Maybe we just haven't found the right mechanic.

Old 06-27-03, 08:50 PM
indigo997
Visiting Guest
BTW, we weren't lucky enough to find a part number on the piece. That website is helpful IF you know the part name or number, but I don't know either one. Is it a drive or clutch cable? I don't know, and even if I did... there are several of each so how do I know which one goes with my model? It would help if the site had pictures to match up with.

Old 06-27-03, 10:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some of these cables are only available in the whole assembly, lever and all, if I recall correctly. Drive cable or clutch cable could both apply. This shouldn't be hard, just need to find someplace with an AYP book. Try contacting AYP themselves. Search for AYP or Electrolux (who owns AYP) on google and you should be able to find a contact # or email address.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: