Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

starter replacement

Visiting Guest

06-26-03, 09:27 PM   #1  
kelleydm
starter replacement

i have recently aquired what i believe is a tecumseh tvm220 10hp. thought it was going to be a 8hp. i have a starter on my 7hp v70 engine that i would like to put on it. though not sure if would work and dont want to waste time trying to take it off one engine just to find that it doesnt fit right. do you know if it would be compatable? thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

06-27-03, 06:20 AM   #2  
Hello: kelleydm

I don't suggest the interchanging of starters for several reasons.

The hold down attaching locations may not line up properly.
The engagement between parts most likely will not be the same.
The starter may not have the needed power to crank the engine.
The power demands of the starter may be to high for the existing electrical system.

Try locating the exact replacement used starter by calling several small engine repair shops and lawn mower service dealers. These shops are in the local phone book.

Most likely I haven't covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Visiting Guest

06-27-03, 06:25 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Find out the model # and part # required for your application from a Tecumseh dealer.

Then, find the model # on the one you have. If they are the same part #, you're all set, same thing.

You could also call a small engine shop, giving both sets of engine and serial #s and ask if they use the same parts or not. If they do, you're in.

I believe the starters for the bigger motors differ from their smaller brothers.

Mike Merritt of this forum might have an answer for you. I have seen various websites on the internet with part #s and interchangibility, so check wwww.google.com and plug in what you're seeking .

Visiting Guest

06-27-03, 10:22 PM   #4  
kelleydm
i contacted the local tecumseh dealers and asked them about the starter and they claim that there is no starter for my engine which i find not likely. the reason i say this is that it has the starter mounting bolts, gears on the flywheel and a hole shaped like the top of a starter in the engine cover. please advise. thank you for your time. all the numbers i have for the engine are as follows. model: 143.356202 tvm220 - 157089F

06-28-03, 10:05 AM   #5  
The 143 number you gave us is a Sears number which means it came from a Sears product. I looked it up on the Sears site and found this is a points engine with out a charging system. The starter on the 7HP will most likely fit put you will also need to transfer the charging system.
Before doing anything check the diameters of the flywheels. That should tell you if anything will transfer.

Visiting Guest

06-28-03, 10:12 AM   #6  
Tcumcman
Elect Starters

Starter motor is SAME for 7HP vs 8HP, BUT....is NOT THE SAME
because the mounting brackets ARE DIFFERENT. Same elec
motor....DIFFERENT way it mounts to engine. They WILL NOT
INTERCHANGE !! Replacement starter for 5-7HP (vertical or
horizontal) is Tecumseh part# 35765A, around $100. There
are a LOT of "aftermarket" versions floating around out there,
and you just might get one for a good bit less than $100 ??
Good luck !!

Tcumcman

Visiting Guest

06-28-03, 11:07 AM   #7  
kelleydm
the engine has a charging system and is a sears tecumseh Model: 143.356202 ser 5128d (TVM220 - 157089F) and i believe that the tvm220 is a 10hp have been doing research on it though still can not find a starter for it.

Visiting Guest

06-28-03, 06:38 PM   #8  
Tcumcman
Starter Replacement

There's ONLY ONE starter that fits all those....Tecumseh
part# 36680. Very common and easy to find. Available
from ANY Tecumseh Dealer, or can be gotten in an
aftermarket starter in Rotary, Stens, Oregon Outdoor,
or PrimeLine.

Tcumcman

Visiting Guest

06-28-03, 08:05 PM   #9  
kelleydm
do you know what the differance is between the 35765A and the 36680 starter? is it just the bracket? thank you.

06-28-03, 09:14 PM   #10  
kelleydm,

Have you seen this site? I believe you need a 35763A. It is the same as the 36680.
I think the only difference in the 35763A and the 35765A is the location of the cable connection.

http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/STC0006.html?id=LXfkSbRu

Visiting Guest

06-29-03, 03:58 PM   #11  
Tcumcman
Starters

35763A was "superceded by" 36680 6-7 years ago. If you can
find a "NEW" 35763A, it will surely work. As I said before....
35763A and 35765A are SAME MOTOR, however....the mounting
brackets ARE DIFFERENT and, as such....THEY WILL NOT
INTERCHANGE !!!

Tcumcman

Visiting Guest

06-29-03, 04:26 PM   #12  
kelleydm
thank you for the help will see if i can find one of those two that would work.

Search this Thread