Brakes Locked/Siezed

Old 06-27-03, 01:23 PM
Coady
Visiting Guest
JD 214 Brakes Locked/Siezed

I was cutting a hill and started down the hill, putting pressure on the brake pedal. I got a bit nervous and put lots of pressure to the brake.

End result:
the brakes are stuck on
the brake pedal is in the depressed location.
wheels don't turn forward or backwards

can you tell me how to remedy this?

Thanks and God bless.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-03, 08:39 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Coady

Venturing a few possibilities.

If the braking system is hydraulic, the master cyclinders piston is stuck in it's bore. Most likely the piston was pushed further in the bore than ever before and got stuck in a pitted area. Same may be the condition with wheel cyclinders.

Another possibility is the brake pedals rod is stuck in the master cyclinders seal or guiding bracket. You may have to check for anyplace where two parts can bind together.

Also possible the brake shoes are binding on the backing plate. You will need to pull the wheels and drums and check for binding on the backing plates. Rusting spots on the plates will cause the brake shoes to bind to the plate, etc.

Most likely I haven't covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Small engine repair parts, manuals and additional help are all available at all local small engine repair shops and or lawn mower repair shops in your area. Shops and dealers are listed in the phone book directory.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.

Old 06-27-03, 10:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Coady!

You don't mention what mower you have, but generally, there is a rod going to the transaxle through a flat piece of metal that is attatched to the side of the tranny. This piece of metal normally gets stuck in the back position, and pulling it forward will release it. Spray the lever with penetrating oil to keep it from doing it again.

Old 06-28-03, 05:36 AM
Coady
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your replies

I have it going, a stupid thing... 2 actually. after removing deck and dragging it to the house with my truck... what a lot of work! Anyhow the problem was that it had a piece of rusted metal stuck in the mechanism and also after this was removed it still would not work, then after spraying lithium grease on it I was able to free the system by hitting it with a wrench ... very ackward area to get at!

Thanks so much for your replies... back to cutting today!

Search this Thread