Engine Running Problem

Old 06-11-03, 08:20 PM
Michael
Visiting Guest
riding lawnmower no gas

Hi,
Having problem getting my riding briggs and stratton lawnmower to stay started. Cleaned out the carberator, but wouldn't start at all, would turn over though. Noticed that the gas filter isn't full of gas, only about 1/4 full. Filled the carb from top and it would start but cut off after a minute or two. The carb isn't getting gas, what could this be,.. please help,.. thanks!

Old 06-11-03, 10:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello Michael!

What brand, HP, and model# engine do you have? Sounds like a carb problem, but not sure...depends on what engine you have.

Old 06-12-03, 09:15 AM
Michael
Visiting Guest
It's a sears briggs and straton 20.5 hp. model 461707 type 0145E
Hope this helps, thanks!

Old 06-12-03, 09:37 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Michael,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but the tank does have gas in it, right? The ONLY reason I ask is that I spent about 2 hours one day trying to diagnose the same thing. Just about ready to tear into the carb when I thought on a lark I'd check the tank. Boy did I eat crow for sometime after that (I had enlisted the help of my neighbor!)

Jeff

Old 06-12-03, 11:50 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
NotMrWizard makes a good point. I have seen people wear out the starter and flywheel gears due to no gas in the tank, so they just kept on cranking until something broke. I am kind of leaning towards a fuel line problem. Are any of them kinked or dry rotted? Also, there might have trash clogging it up. Disconnect the fuel line right before the fuel filter and take the gas cap off and put your mouth over where the cap goes and blow or if you have an air compressor, put the hose in these and stuff a rag around it to keep the air from coming out and try to blow some gas out throught the fuel line. You should be able to see a steady stream of gas coming out. If you just see a trickle, then you have found your problem.

Old 06-12-03, 11:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok...twin opposed cylinder briggs...notorious for main jet blockage in the carb. On the side of the carb, near the bottom, you will find a 5/8" or 3/4" bolt (size depends on year of engine). Remove it and let the fuel drain out. If no fuel drains out, you are not getting fuel to the carb and I would check the fuel pump and lines (assuming it does have gas in the tank, lol). If fuel does run out of the hole, then remove the top of the carb and clean the bowl out if needed (you stated you have already cleaned the carb)...but...there is one place I think you missed. Insert an allen wrench through the drain plug hole to unscrew the main jet. Once you get it out, make sure it is clean and then clean out the area the jet screws into, then reinstall and put it all back together. This should get it going again.

Let us know if you have problems!

Old 06-13-03, 06:05 AM
Michael
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I will check all ya'll suggestions.
By the way, it has gas, I know.....don't laugh....... I checked it several times while trying to start it!! Thought my eyes were trying to fool me! Will get back to ya'll and let ya'll know what happens.....Thanks again!

Old 06-22-03, 12:32 PM
Michael
Visiting Guest
Hi,
Tried ya'll suggestions and same thing, starts with gas in carb then cuts off. I had also replaced the main jet with a new one. How does the fuel pump work??
Also noticed that I broke the post on the pump, that small black post that holds the diaphram in place. Would this effect the pump of gas?
My neighbors are giving me stares with the long grass, what a delimma!
Hope ya'll can help me with this, Thanks so much!!!

Old 06-23-03, 12:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
After re-reading the thread, I wonder if I'm misunderstanding the problem. Is the carb bowl filling with gas, but engine not running, or is the carb bowl not even filling? If the bowl is not filling, you need to check your lines for restrictions, make sure you have good flow from the tank to the pump. If so, I would say the pump is not working as long as you are sure the float is not stuck in the "up" position. The pump works off of pressure fluctuations that make the diaphragms pump, and check valve flaps that allow fuel to flow only one direction. A pump kit is available, or replacement might be the best option.

Old 06-27-03, 09:56 PM
Michael
Visiting Guest
Red face

Hi Cheese,
Thanks for all your great advice, did all you suggested, and still didn't work. But all you suggested was correct, Cleaned and changed the diaphrams, used a compressor and blew out all the hoses, even changed the black box and the jet, but found out that I had put the small silver "pin" that is located on the float in the hole in the carb instead of the float, and it stopped the gas flow.......duh!!!! LOL
Now it works great,.........on low it tends to slightly serge and fall but it still works great!!! I really appreciate your kindness and for sticking through this with me.
Thanks a bunch!!!!
Michael

Old 06-27-03, 10:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it going!

To stop the surging, try backing out the air/fuel mixture screw 1/4 turn or so.

Old 06-29-03, 06:27 AM
Michael
Visiting Guest
Hi Cheese,
Without sounding too stupid, what does this screw look like and where is it located? Thanks!!

Old 06-29-03, 10:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is a flat-head screw, close to the base of the carb, at the very front of the carb (the end opposite from the engine). The newer design of this carb has no air/fuel screw....if your carb has a plastic float, there is no screw....if it is a metal float, you should have one.

Old 06-29-03, 11:31 AM
Michael
Visiting Guest
Hi Cheese,
It has a plastic float, .......is there anything else I can do to stop the serging? Thanks! ( There is a screw located in front of the left side of the carb looking straight at it, it has a large spring around, under the head of it. Could this be something that will help?)

Old 06-29-03, 11:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That sounds like the idle speed screw...It won't stop the surging. The surging is caused by a slightly lean air/fuel mixture...in other words, it's not quite getting enough gas. There is probably still a sight bit of a restriction in the carb. You could try blowing out the carb again, with the main jet removed, and dig out any trash that might be caked up in the hole that the main jet installs into, and use a torch tip cleaner to clean out the main jet. They are available at welding supply stores for around $4.00. You will find many more uses for the tip cleaners, so it might be a good tool to have around anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: