Chainsaw Question

Old 06-28-03, 06:24 AM
rfpinckney
Visiting Guest
Angry Auto oiler on Homelite ranger chainsaw not working...

Can anyone tell me how difficult it will be to service the auto oiler on my homelite ranger chainsaw? It is not plugged..just stopped oiling. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Rick

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-03, 07:02 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Rick. Welcome to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

It may not be necessary to totally remove the olier tank to correct the problem. The oiling hole may simply be clogged at the exist.

Remove the bar. Clean the are around the sprocket. Near the sprocket will be the oil exit hole. Insert a pipe cleaner into the hole to remove debris. While doing so and after, depress the manual oiling button until oil flows out.

Next, clean the bar. Notice the holes at the back end of the bar. Those holes and the chain slot must also be cleared to allow the oil to flow along the inside of the rail.

It's possible but not as likely the oiler plunger is defective. Try the cleaning and clearing method before assuming the plunger is defective or the tank has a clog.

It may not be necessary to remove the tank if clearing the exit hole and bar rail resolves the problem.

Most likely I haven't covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Small engine repair parts, manuals and additional help are all available at all local small engine repair shops and or lawn mower repair shops in your area. Shops and dealers are listed in the phone book directory.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically & keeps all communications in this one thread.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.

Old 06-28-03, 01:37 PM
rfpinckney
Visiting Guest
Auto oiler on homelite chainsaw

Thanks Sharp, it appears it may well be a plunger problem. This is an automatic oiler (no manual button). I am able to add compressed air to the oil tank and oil comes out through the hole near the sprocket but it will not come out when saw is running. Now I need to figure out how to get to the auto oiler, it looks like I need to pull the clutch and sprocket. Back to the drawing board.
Rick