Old 06-28-03, 11:33 AM
Pete in Va
Visiting Guest
Gray Oil

I just changed the oil and after an hours cutting my lawn,
the oil is all gray. What is causing this? Is it metel shavings
or gas mixing with the oil? The mower is only two years old
and change the oil often using 30w. The mower is an MTD
6.5hp Briggs and Stratton ohv model number 11a546j118.
Do I need a new mower? Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-03, 12:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Pete!

You are right, it is metal shavings. It COULD be due to gas in the oil, making the oil too thin and causing engine wear, or it could be other problems. Drain it, check to see if it smells like gas. If so, you might try fixing the carb and flushing the crankcase and refilling with oil. It may run for a long time yet, if the problem is corrected before it gets too far gone (if it's not already).

Old 06-29-03, 06:19 AM
Pete in Va
Visiting Guest
The oil doesn't smell like gas. Would switching to synthetic
oil help? I pulled the head off and noticed three scratches
on the cylinder wall. I've seen worst on other engines and
they didn't cause the oil to turn gray. How about if I hone
the cylinder and replace the rings, do you think it will fix
the problem? Thanks again.

Old 06-29-03, 11:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you don't hear it knocking, it's not smoking, and you flush the crankcase, you will probably be ok. Make sure your air filter is clean. Replacing the rings probably won't help...you would probably have to replace the piston, rings, and rod, and NOT hone the cylinder to fix the problem. (depending on what is causing it in the first place).

Old 06-29-03, 01:11 PM
Honing a cast iron block or cast iron cylinder sleeve engine is ok to do, however, an engine with an aluminium cylinder can't be honed out because the hone leaves little metal filing in the pores of the metal and that will ruin the rings. Plus, aluminium is a much softer metal and the hone will do more harm than good. Some people have had luck with using chrome rings. They say that they will wear the cylinder back into spec. This is commonly done with cylinders that are out of round. But using chrome rings to fix cylinder problems is only used on aluminium cylinders. Honing removes slight imperfections in the cylinder and also puts back the cross-hatch marks. A cylinder that gets glazed over time from normal wear will leak oil a little due to do no path for the oil go flow, that's what the cross-hatch marks are for. If you still have some metal shavings left from the old oil, put a magnet on them. If the magnet picks them up, the it is steel. That would mean that you have abmormal wear on the crankshaft or camshaft. If the magnet doesn't pick them up, then they aren't steel. That means that they could have come from those scratches in the cylinder or from the bearings on the crankshaft.

Last edited by mower17; 06-29-03 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-29-03, 06:46 PM
Pete in Va
Visiting Guest
I'm going to flush it by changing the oil about 3 times and
run the engine a few minutes in between the oil changes.
This should really clean it out. What do you think? Thanks
for everyones help.

Old 06-30-03, 12:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's the way to do it!

Let us know how it turns out!

Old 06-30-03, 09:44 AM
Because you used regular oil in the past, synthetic oil will probably cause it to leak now. Use a good grade refined motor oil. Cheese is giving you excellent advice.