Starter Rope Repair

Old 06-29-03, 06:33 AM
Ariens mower problem

OK, I have a knack of killing lawn mowers. I posted about a week ago on walk behind mowers that are good since my snapper died. I have been using my father-in-laws Ariens lately. Very nice machine. I believe it is either a 21 or 22 inch unit with self propel and lots of good stuff. I think he has had it for like 8 years now? Not sure. Starts on 1st pull every time.

Well, yesterday I pulled the cord, mower started great and the cord came out of the pull mechanism. I was able to finish the lawn, AND remove the bag, AND fill with gas. Not a pretty picture. Almost lost a few toes. Anyways.

The cord looks fraid at the end and I am not sure if it pulled out of a clamp that holds the cord or broke inside the pull unit.

Can someone tell me if this can be fixed (me pull the unit apart, re-attach the cord [if long enough]) OR if Ariens makes sealed pull units that need a new entire mechanism? I WILL fix it to new before bringing it back to him. I have not started to disassemble. I am handy with tools, have rebuilt car engines, and made brought the snapper back to life last year.

Anyone have any blow-out drawings of the Ariens walk behinds?

Thanks. I am STILL looking ot buy a new mower but wife and I need to do the budget (since baby is 2.5 weeks old) - AND eats ALOT! Peace: e3

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-03, 07:09 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: spamman

Depending on where the rope broke, in terms of length after the hand hold grip, the condition of the existing rope, type of starter pulley and coiled spring may determine how difficult the repair will be.

The primary concern is that coiled spring. Some starter pulleys do not have to be removed to replace the pull rope. Some do. I am not sure which on that brand. The brand is not sold in this area.

Rope length and diameter are important. If the entire rope needs to be replaced due to it's condition and age, remove only the starter cover and take it to a local small engine repair shop.

Much safer to have a pro deal with the potiental dangers of a coiled spring under tensioning while replacing the rope. The repairs costs are minor considering the time spent and dangers which may be avoided working with some rope starters.

The mods whom work on that brand may be able to help more. Check back on your question again.

Good Luck.
Sharp Advice

Old 06-29-03, 08:09 AM
I appreciate the response. I would rally rather not bring out to a shop if possible. I would imagine working with a coiled spring is dangerous. I have replaced coil springs in cars so have a true understanding of the power delivered by a spring with a high K-value.

Its an:

Ariens: model - 911073 serial - 002290 with a 6.0hp Tecumseh engine.

The rope does not appear to be dry rotted or wet or anything. Simply frayed at the end.

Any more help is greatly appreciated. Peace: e3

Old 06-29-03, 09:03 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Easiest way? New pull start unit. About 30 bucks and bolts on with four bolts. Done .

Second easiest? Buy the parts at a small engine shop and have them do the R&R. If you buy the parts from them, shouldn't be much more than a couple of bucks for them to do it. They'd give you a break if you bought the parts from them.

Some of those pull starts are a bear to deal with. Real PITA.

Old 06-29-03, 09:07 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: spamman

Knowing where the rope broke, close to the hand held grip or further down towards the rewind starter assembly or somewhere mid point determines if the rope than needs to be replaced entirely or partially.

If the rope will be too short the entire rope should or must be replaced. Rope diameter and it's length are concerns, if replacing the entire rope. Length and size does matter in this instance...

If there will be enough rope left to allow starting without the rope being too short, simply move the hand grip to the end still attached to the starter.

The starter rewind coil and spring assembly should not have to be removed on T engines. Remove the starter housing if needed to replace the entire rope. Note how it knots in the pulley.

Remove the existing rope. Wind the starter pulley reverse of the pulling direction and line up the housing hole and pulley holes. Clamp the pulley with a vise grips to hold it in that position.

Insert the rope thru the housing into the pulley. Knot the end. Attach the hand grip to the other end. Hold the pulley with one hand and release the vise grips. Allow the rope to slowly wind inwards.

Reattach the starter housing to the engine. Task accomplished.

Good Luck.
Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator.

Old 06-29-03, 04:28 PM
Sharp Advice: Thanks for the help. What happened was the rope broke approx 1inch from the connection at the coil for the starter. I pulled the "staple" from the rope block and then re-threaded the rope into the block. Then put in the staple to hold it in. Only problem now is I can not get the spring to rewind the unit after I pull the rope to start it.

Did I forget some preload process or is the spring not working anymore? I would love to not buy a new pull start as I would like to get the working mower back to the owner soon. The inside of the housing says: "370 605011"

Peace: e3

Old 06-29-03, 04:56 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: spamman

What you for got to do was preload the spring first. Preload means rewind the spring as mentioned in my prior reply.

Once the spring is preloaded, then attach the rope and secure it with the staple. Than slowly release the pulley so the rope gets drawn into the housing cover.

Not to worry. Your doing well thus far.

Practice does make perfect...

Old 06-30-03, 10:26 AM
Once again thanks. When the rope broke (1 inch from coil), it must have popped the recoil spring out of a clip. The was NO tension on the spring ANY way you wind it. I was going to buy a new recoil starter and brought this one down to a local place called Boston Lawnmowers in Westboro, MA. Great set of guys there. He was able to take off the top sticker cover, press out the spring assembly, fix the spring, put on new rope and get it back to me for 14 bucks and took 10 min. It works great now.

I will be happy to get the unit back together and back to the owner working well. He got lucky. It could have broken with HIM using it. Instead I pay for it. I guess thats how it works when you borrow equipment from others.

I asked another guy about Husqvarna mowers with the 5.5hp Honda engine and he said they are crap. He said that engine is not being made by Honda anymore and will not last long. I think this other guy was pushing his Ariens and Honda mowers.

Any thoughts on the Honda Harmony mowers with self propel? I found a year 2000 for $250. #216 he said., 3 spd, bag,mulch,side vent 22inch cut with new transmission. Any good?

Peace: e3