Muffler Problem

Old 07-15-03, 06:58 AM
nugget
Visiting Guest
weed-eater

Joe, how do you clean the muffler? If I take the muffler off, it will run ok, so that must be the problem that it won't start. Thank you!

Old 07-15-03, 07:42 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Best Option is Replacement

Hello: nugget

Often times it is not worth while attempting to clean a carboned up muffler. Nor is it often successful. May prove to be time consumming with no positive results. Replacing it with a new one is the most cost and time effective method.

Mufflers do not cost much and are available at any small engine and or lawn mower sales & repair shop. Look in the phone book for shops and dealers in your area.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Old 07-15-03, 07:51 AM
nugget
Visiting Guest
muffler problem

Thanks Sharp Advice. That is just what I thought, that it would be better to just buy a new muffler. I appreciate your help. Had no idea that a dirty muffler would be the problem.

Old 07-16-03, 12:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello nugget!

Some mufflers are designed to be cleaned...some aren't. If the muffler comes apart in pieces when you remove it, you can clean it. If not, replace it. Use some spray carburetor cleaner to spray out the deposits, and you can use a wire brush to clean out the tough stuff.

Old 07-16-03, 05:44 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Most of the time its the spark arrest screen that is blocked. If you can't get to it or get it out to clean completely a new muffler is in order as the others said.....Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: