Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Small Engine Shop Owners

LA

06-30-03, 09:00 AM   #1  
Small Engine Shop Owners

Who on this forum is actually a Small Engine Repair Shop Owner?
WARNING!!!!! If you answer yes, I'm probably going to hit you up for some business tips!

Thanks,
dirty dan

Sponsored Links

06-30-03, 09:28 AM   #2  
Dan, I will raise my hand and cover my head...lol...I have a small engine shop in British Columbia. Mostly deal with chainsaws, but also do repairs on lawnmowers, weed whackers, gen sets, Honda engines, and now with the new mechanic, outboards.

It is a tough business to be in right now up here with the way the economy is going...logging in particular...which is our main industry in our town.

Email me with any questions you may have...

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-01-03, 09:40 AM   #3  
Hello Dan!

I also own a small engine repair shop. I am located in the deep south, and with all the rain we've had this year, business has been really good. I will warn you that you probably won't get rich, and it might take a few years just to get enough clientelle to make a decent living. It is seasonal work, but if you can make enough during the summer to put some aside for winter it will help.

The most important pieces of advice I can give would be: -Stand behind your work...don't make customers pay for a problem to be fixed twice. -Don't be afraid to do customers a little favor once in a while...especially regulars. -If a customer brings back something you worked on and is having problems with it, and it may be related to the work you did, let it take priority and don't make them wait any longer than necessary. -Be appreciative of the business you get, and thank God for it, and try not to complain when it gets slow.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

LA

07-11-03, 05:16 PM   #4  
Cheese,
I sent you an e-mail last week and didn't get an answer. Did you quit me already????

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-11-03, 10:15 PM   #5  
Sorry Dan,

I havent been checking my emails as much as I should....been extremely busy lately. I'll check it and reply. We have been getting so much rain lately, and it is keeping the grass growing, which in turn keeps people on their lawnmowers, which in turn again keeps my phone ringing, lol! Thank God for the business!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

07-15-03, 08:31 AM   #6  
Dan, did you get my reply email?

Search this Thread