Mower Engine

Old 06-30-03, 08:35 PM
johnliester
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Mower Engine

3 weeks ago I bought a used MTD riding mower with a 12 horse Briggs engine. Thing ran like a champ. I manage a motel with about 3 acres of lawn so a rider is needed. Anyway, as usual one morning I gassed it up and checked the oil. It was full of oil.After mowing for about a half-hour, I got this awfull chatter, and bang, hole in the block. Anyone have any ideas what happened? What would cause this. I'm thinking the previous owner m,ust have run it out of oil sometime in the past.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-03, 10:34 PM
Sounds like the connecting rod broke. Does the engine spin over really easily? You now have the option of getting a short block or a new engine. If you do the work yourself, a short block will save you money. If you would bring it to a shop, a new engine would be cheaper.

Old 07-01-03, 09:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Johnliester!

Mower17 is right, the engine broke a rod. It is very possible that someone has run it out of oil before and damaged the engine. It also could have come apart on its' own. Disassembling the engine might give you a clue as to what happened. That engine normally runs from $450 to $550 new.

Search this Thread