Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

deck adjustment

Visiting Guest

07-01-03, 02:20 PM   #1  
sniper3270
deck adjustment

kinda stumped ..........I have a power pro lawn tractor which is made by mtd 12hp 38 inch cut i just put new blades on it tryed cuting with it the cuts were uneven tryed adjust acouple of times but won't do any better i have 2 adusters on one side one side of the deck almost digs into the ground when i turn is there anymore adjustments for it or just tell me what i'm doing wrong i done what manual said to do..............thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-01-03, 03:18 PM   #2  
MAT WHITE
I HAAVE A MTD

MY DECK WAS DRAGGING GROUND, MY BACK TIRE WAS ALMOST FLAT, I ALMOST RUINED DECK, NOW I CHECK MY TIRES MORE FREQUENTLY, THEY WERE PROBABLY LOW ON AIR WHEN I STARTED CUTTING.......I STILL DO NOT THINK MY DECK IS SET PROPERLY, HOWEVER A LAWMOWER REPAIR MAN SAID IT WAS OK.......HOPE THIS HELPS..............

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-01-03, 11:45 PM   #3  
Hello Sniper!

Mat is right, lol. Many times the cause of uneven cut is just a tire low on air. Another common cause is a disconnected or broken deck hanger or one blade upside down. Rarely do the deck adjusters need to be adjusted, unless something drastic happens or excessive wear develops on the deck hangers. Check the mentioned things if you haven't already, and let us know what you find. If all is ok, we'll go into making the adjustments.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

LA

07-03-03, 05:28 AM   #4  
Sniper,
I'm not sure, but I think your mower is similar to the MTD's. Which side is cutting low? The MTD's have a poorly designed hanger on the left side (asyou sit on the mower). It is an "L" shaped bolt which is screwed into a nut which is held by a hanger from above. If this is your problem, if you lower the deck all the way as if to engage the blades (engine off), you will see the hanger with nothing attached. The hanger will swing freely. The hanger wallows out over time and allows the bolt with the nut to fall on the mower deck. It's usually hard to see the bolt because it winds up covered with grass clippings. Feel around for it.
The bolt is held to the deck with a cotter pin or a pull pin. If this is your problem the fix is to either replace the hanger or tack weld the nut to the hanger.
Let us know what you find.
Good Luck

Visiting Guest

07-03-03, 08:09 AM   #5  
sniper3270
deck adjustment

it was cutting low on right side the hangers r all ok i think it's going to be the tire preasure ................thanks for everybodys help i really appreceite it

Search this Thread