Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Running Problem

Visiting Guest

07-02-03, 03:34 AM   #1  
bruce osborn
lawn mower will run only for a little bit only if you prime it

MY MOWER WITH A BRIGGS 5 hp ENGINE WILL ONLY RUN FOR A FEW SECONDS AND ONLY IF IT IS PRIMED, I CLEANED OUT GAS TANK, PUT IN NEW PLUG, AIR FILTER, AND HAVE NO SUCESS, ANY HELP VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-02-03, 06:54 AM   #2  
BSparks294
Did you change the fuel filter if your mower has one. I had that problem on my generator. It did not look dirty, but when I put the new one on, it ran like a champ. To check it disconnect the fuel line from the carb side (not the tank side) and see if fuel runs out of it. Hope that helps.

It could also be the float in the carb. Not a difficult job. Just unscrew the bolt at the bottom of the float bowl and clean up the bowl. Actually cleaning the whole carb is a pretty straighforward process with a "carb cleaner" can from the auto parts store.

Good luck, Brad

LA

07-02-03, 10:24 AM   #3  
Will it start if you remove the air filter and choke the carb by hand??? Is this the engine with the carb mounted on the gas tank or a carb with a bowl on it?

Visiting Guest

07-03-03, 03:11 AM   #4  
bruce osborn
mower that will not run but a few seconds after priming

MY MOWER WITH A BRIGGS 5 hp ENGINE WILL ONLY RUN FOR A FEW SECONDS AND ONLY IF IT IS PRIMED, I CLEANED OUT GAS TANK, PUT IN NEW PLUG, AIR FILTER, AND HAVE NO SUCESS, ANY HELP VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

PS IT HAS THE CARBURETOR MOUNTED ON THE GAS TANK

Visiting Guest

07-03-03, 05:34 AM   #5  
Joe_F
You have a bad diaphragm in the carburetor more than likely, or there is dirt in the carburetor.

Get an exploded view from Briggsandstratton.com and you'll see what parts to order.

Visiting Guest

07-03-03, 05:35 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Is this a duplicate post? I answered it on the other question .

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

07-03-03, 06:38 AM   #7  
Thread Has Been Merged

Hello: bruce

Please use the reply button to continue your question and or to add any additional information.

Doing so keeps all the communications together in one thread and avoids duplications.

Thanks,
Web Host
Sharp Advice

Search this Thread