Ignition Problem

Old 07-05-03, 03:02 PM
DJForrestA
Visiting Guest
Honda spark troubles

I don't know if this fits this forum or not but I just aquired a 1980 honda 70 atc and I can't get any spark at the plug. I'm getting power at the coil but not enough to spark at the plug. I can spark a bare wire but not the plug. Any ideas on voltage that I need at the coil on both sides?. I'm sorry if this doesn't fit this forum but you really helped on my Mantis so I thought I'd give it a try. My seven year old boy would love you if you could help my get this running. He has been asking every day if it is working yet. P.S. Wiring Diagram for it?
Thanks, Forrest
PSS I bought a new plug and tested it in a tiller and it fired like crazy. Just to rule out a bad plug.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-03, 05:39 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Again Forrest

Glad you got the help with the tiller and the info provided helped. Also the fact you included that info into this question too.

Engines are engines and ignition problems are very much similar in nature. Most generic testing methods and procedures are the same regardless of the power equipment the engine is on.

Which means your ATC/ATV ingition system is very much like any other machine with similar equipment. So you question can be located in either forum.

Thus you are very likely to find some help to start the problem diagnostics procedures reading the already asked questions in this small engine forum.

Since the power equipment isn't actually a lawn and garden power tool but does have an ignition problem, you'll get help in this forum. To further help you additionally, I also copied your question into the ATV's forum.

The ATV resident professional moderator Mike is a real pro on these machines and can offer your additional advice. Check both forums daily.

Old 07-06-03, 01:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello DJForrestA!

My first inclination, based on your description, would be that you need to change the points AND condenser.

Glad we were able to help with the tiller!

Old 07-06-03, 07:14 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: DJ

I too agree that you should change out the points and condenser. Install the new parts and gap the points to the correct setting. Retest.

The volts to the coil will not exceed the battery volts. The job of the coil is to boost the voltage. It's always possible the coil is weak and or there is a bleed off of current.

Check the wires, terminal connections on the wires and all the connection locations. Include the parts which transfer and carry current. Key switches and dash board gauges, switches etc.

If all can be determined to be in good working order after replacing the points, condenser and using the known good spark plug with no positive results, it may tha be required to replace the coil. This part is known to fail with time and age over years.

The ideal do it yourself diagnostic procedure is to start with the small tasks of checking connections, etc and replacement of the least difficult & expensive parts first.

Reading already asked questions on engine starting problems, electrical problems, etc within this forum and those in the ATV forum will provide you with plenty of ideas & testing procedures.

Old 07-07-03, 12:35 PM
DJForrestA
Visiting Guest
Thanks again

Well I took the plunge and pulled the pull cord and flywheel so I could get to the magneto. The parts were new but it had been sitting for a couple years so everything had a thin layer of rust or corrosion on it. I cleaned up all the parts and put them back and it started on the first pull. I really do think this is the best forum on the web. Ya'll give common sense advice and actually respond. Just wanted to say thanks again for all your help.
Forrest

Old 07-07-03, 06:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good job! I figured you would find the problem in the points. I usually reccomend just replacing them because you then know exactly what you have and what shape they are in, but cleaning them often works fine. (as in this case). God call Sharp Advice!

Take care, and visit again!