Mower leaving stripes in yard

Old 07-10-03, 06:20 PM
angneedsadvice
Visiting Guest
Angry Mower leaving stripes in yard

I have a Craftsman Model number 917.252600 which is a riding mower 42" cut and it is leaving stripes (Scalping) on each side with a a strip of higher grass in the center between the 2 blades.

Please help! I am a woman, and my husband is mechanically challenged. I do the yard work and this is driving me crazy.

I have put on new mulching blades, leveled the deck, checked the tire pressure, etc.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-03, 10:23 PM
angneedsadvice,

When you replaced the blades are you sure you got them firmly seated around the stars on the mower deck shafts? When you leveled the deck did you level it from the deck housing or the blade tips? Did you level it from side to side and front to back? Did you look under the mower deck to check if the blades are really close to be meeting in the center?
It's a common problem to not get the blade on that star. If it's not on the star the blade will not spin flat and may dip down at the blade tips and could become loose.
Leveling the deck from the deck flanges is not the best place to level it from. It is harder to do but if you measure from the blade tip to a flat piece of concrete it should be level.
Many times on the 42" deck it will get out of adjustment and the front of the deck will dip down lower then it should. The tip of the blade should be 1/8" to 1/4" lower in the front then it is in the back. If it is lower then 1/4" in the front it will cause the lines in your yard. You can pull it up by loosing the nut at the end of the hanger rods at the front of the tractor.
Some times if the mower deck hits an unmovable object it may make the deck sprung out of shape. If you look under the deck and one blade is higher then the other blade in the center, the deck is sprung, won't be adjustable and will need to be replaced to correct the problem.

Old 07-10-03, 10:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello!

Roger has good advice. Other possible problems could be that one or both of the blade mandrels have one of the mounting flanges broken off, causing the whole shaft to **** over to one side, but that usually makes one cut low in the center, and high on the edges. It could also be that you somehow wound up with 38" blades instead of 42", which would leave a very noticeable strip in the center. You could also have a broken front deck hanger. The front deck hangers are rods that go from the front of the deck to a spot on the frame just under the front of the hood. If the front of the deck is too low, loosen the nut closest to the deck on these rods, and tighten the nut farthest from the deck equally on both sides until the deck is level.

Old 07-11-03, 07:52 AM
angneedsadvice
Visiting Guest
Thanks

I will take your advice. I will let you know what happens. I appreciate you both and your advice. How nice it is to be able to get advice on here.

Thanks again!