Riding Mower Problem

Old 07-15-03, 05:54 PM
barbino
Visiting Guest
Question Rider dies when blades engaged

I have a Murry 12 hp riding mower. Starts fine, runs fine, but as soon as I engage the blades it dies. What could be causing this?

Old 07-15-03, 07:22 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: barbino

To determine if there is any rotating part that is binding up, remove the blade belt. Doing so would allow the engine to accelerate without the load of the blades.

If the engine accelerates normally, there is binding of some moving part. Locate that part or area and resolve the problem.

There could be any one or more of several possibilities. Clutch binding, tranny and or blade drive problems, spindles, quils, etc.

The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may be able to offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Small engine repair parts, manuals and additional help are all available at all local small engine repair shops and or lawn mower repair shops in your area. Shops and dealers are listed in the phone book directory.

Suggestion:
Read the already asked question somewhere in the recently asked question list. The replies offered in that question will provide additional possible causes and the solutions to correct them.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.

Old 07-15-03, 11:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello barbino!

If it still dies with the belt removed from the engine pulley, I would start checking the seat switch and its' connector. Sounds like the seat safety switch is not closing the contacts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: