Low Oil Shutdown Test

Old 07-15-03, 08:00 PM
bubbaque
Visiting Guest
Low Oil Shutdown Test

I have a 5 hp Briggs & Stratton with a low oil shutdown sensor. I need to know how to check to make sure that the sensor is working properly.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-03, 08:25 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello bubbaque. Welcome to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

One method would be to disconnect one wire while the engine is running. The engine should die.

Another would be to disconnect the safety device and attempt to start the engine or test for spark at the spark plug. The low oil safety device grounds the igniton, thus killing the engine.

The other resident small engine service and repair professionals will be able to offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically & keeps all communications in this one thread.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.

Old 07-15-03, 08:32 PM
bubbaque,

The low oil shutdown is just another switch that will ground your ignition if you are low on oil. You should be able to check it with a meter. The wire to the sensor should have continuity to ground when you drain the oil.

Old 07-17-03, 06:23 PM
bubbaque
Visiting Guest
Low oil shutdown test

Thanks. I checked the continuity and found that the switch is good. No continuity with full oil, continuity when drained.

What I have is a Sears Pressure cleaner with a 5 HP B&S engine. I can start the thing and it runs for a few seconds, then dies.

I got the PC from a friend who hadn't used it for a few years. I cleaned out the carb and put in a new diaphram, gaskets, etc. and still can't get it to run.

Looking through the forum, I found several good suggestions to try such as starting the engine with the gas cap off; manually feeding some gas with a spray bottle, etc.

Will try that this weekend and let you know what happens.

Thanks again for a GREAT forum. I've told all my friends about it.

Old 07-17-03, 10:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Let us know how your checkup of the engine goes!

Old 07-20-03, 07:24 PM
bubbaque
Visiting Guest
Pulled the carb and cleaned it again and the engine fired right up. Must have missed a small piece of trash. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-21-03, 12:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it going, and thanks for letting us know how it went!

Take care!