engine smoke

Old 07-16-03, 12:57 AM
kris74
Visiting Guest
engine smoke

john deere 116 117/oh riding mower, i am repairing my friends mower and today i replaced the battery and it started. has been sitting up for a while. changing gas, oil, in the morn. drove mower a short time and turned off. noticed smoke around manifold area.removed shields found debri. saw small hot glowing and figured a nut had fallen on top of it. i was correct,but will a small nut get so hot it glows, or would a crack glow?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-03, 05:41 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
I would remove all of the sheet metal you can get to like the blower housing etc. and clean it out. If the cooling fins are full of crud the heat has no were to go. Lean fuel setting or a restriction in the carb could cause some extra heat but doubt it would be glowing because of it. It could have been a chance happening like the small nut laying on the manifold just as it comes out of the engine with fins blocked. What about the exhaust gasket? A leaking gasket could light something up in the area of the leak....Mike

Old 07-16-03, 03:28 PM
kris74
Visiting Guest
gaskets

gaskets look good,thank you. i have cleaned the debri around the carb linkages, and think i may need to adjust this carborator, any sugestions? engine is backfiring when i shut it down and has a small miss to it. plugs are new and one of them is black. how much will the crankcase hose to air filter affect operation?

Old 07-16-03, 06:52 PM
kris74
Visiting Guest
gaskets

gaskets look good,thank you. i have cleaned the debri around the carb linkages, and think i may need to adjust this carborator, any sugestions? engine is backfiring when i shut it down and has a small miss to it. plugs are new and one of them is black. how much will the crankcase hose to air filter affect operation?