Engine Repair

Old 07-16-03, 07:22 AM
Silverspoon01
Visiting Guest
tecumseh

Working on a Tecumseh Centura LE -- made for a Sears lawn mower-- to replace a (probably) bent crankshaft.

What mysterious technique is required to remove the oil pan end of the housing from the crankshaft? Do I need to dig out the oil seal?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-03, 08:05 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Silverspoon01. Welcome to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

Yes. You will have to remove that oil seal first. If you already have the bolts removed, I suggest re installing some of them.

There is no real need to tighten them up so much. The idea here is to hold the pan in place while you pry out the seal. To re install the new seal, set it in place and use a deep wall socket of a size equal to the outer diameter of the seal.

Place the socket over the shaft onto the rim of the seal. Use light blows of a hammer to set the seal into place.

Yes. There are special tools to do this entire job. Assuming you do not have them, the above method works when done correctly.

The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may be able to offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Small engine repair parts, generic repair manuals and additional help are all available at all local small engine repair shops and or lawn mower repair shops in your area. Shops and dealers are listed in the phone book directory.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically & keeps all communications in this one thread.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.

Old 07-17-03, 05:21 AM
buttlint
Visiting Guest
Silver,

Sorry to contradict what Sharp has said, but I see no reason to remove the seal to replace the crankshaft. If the seal is trashed, it is easier to get it out after the sump has been removed, but just because the crank has been bent, doesnt necessarily mean that the seal has been damaged.

Remove the blade adaptor and any keys from their slots. Use some emory cloth or sandpaper to remove any rust or burrs from the crankshaft end. Depending on how badly the crank is bent will determine how difficult it will be to slide the sump cover off of the crank.

Some recent crankshafts have been designed with a smaller diamater at the end of the crank, stepped down in size from the PTO bearing diamater, which make it easier to remove the sump, when the crank has been bent.

If a crank has been severely bent, it can be a bear getting the sump past the bent area without damaging the sump bearing surface. If thats the case, I cut the crank off above the bend, and file down the cut to eliminate any burrs caused from cutting. (a Sawzall with a metal blade speeds up the process, but a regular hacksaw will do in a pinch.)

Before you attack the sump removal, take the flywheel and key off. Remember to time the cam to the crankshaft gear, and use a torque wrench on the rod bolts. Replace the sump gasket, and dont over torque the sump cover bolts. ( they can pull the threads out of the crankcase very easily.) (use some locktite on them also)

Be a little careful when you put the sump cover on, and you wont damage the seal.

Those are a few tips on crank R&R, I sure others will offer some more. Good luck.