engine repair

Old 07-16-03, 07:27 AM
docatcea
Visiting Guest
Unhappy sheared blade attachment bolt

My son was mowing the yard with our new mower. He hit an old stump which stopped the mower dead and bent the blade. When the blade was replaced with a new one, and the mower started, a few minutes after starting the blade came away from the shaft. The securing bolt sheared off inside the attachment fitting.

It has been a while since I have had to remove a broken bolt, and don't quite remember the procedure. While not mechanically challenged, I do not do mechanical repairs very often. What is the best procedure for removing the part of the bolt still remaining inside the fitting? Is it possible that the original incident has bent the shaft which is causing un-balanced torque that resulted in the shearing of the replacement bolt?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-03, 08:12 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello and Welcome docatcea to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site and the Small Engine forum.

It is very possible and likely the shaft is bent and or damaged. Removing that left in part of the bolt, the threaded end, can be removed with any easy out tool.

The tool is available at most auto parts stores. Care must be taken to drill the correct size hole into the left in threads. The drilled hole must be exactly centered and drilled to the correct depth. Follow the manufacturers directions carefully.

Most likely I haven't covered all of the possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may be able to offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Small engine repair parts, generic repair manuals and additional help are all available at all local small engine repair shops and or lawn mower repair shops in your area. Shops and dealers are listed in the phone book directory.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically & keeps all communications in this one thread.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.

Old 07-16-03, 11:51 PM
Drilling a hole in the center of the bolt and tapping in an easy-out is probably the best way. Another possible way is to use a left handed drill bit in a drill, that might get it to back out. Another way, if the bolt isn't broke deep inside the hole, is to take a chisel and tap it with a hammer and try to unscrew it.

Search this Thread