Engine Power Loss

Old 07-16-03, 04:01 PM
d56auction
Visiting Guest
Kohler loss of power with load

I have a Kohler Magnum 18 on a Wheel Horse/Toro ZTR mower...vintage 1986. I've had to disconnect the motor from the throttle and choke cables to replace a U-joint. After putting everything back together the engine runs OK (although the idle seems a bit fast) but when I engage the mower deck clutch there is a marked loss of power. Doesn't stall but really seems to be struggling to keep the wheels turning and the mower mowing.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-03, 07:49 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello d56auction. Welcome to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

Very possible the cable ends are not in the same place as they where prior to the disassembly. Note the wear marks on the throttle plate and be sure the link end is in the correct hole.

Also check the link of the governor and where it is currently installed. Also possible this end is not relocated back into it's exact location prior to it's removal.

Be sure the cables are properly secured and no flex is in them. Look for the exact place to secure them by locating any prior markings left.

Most likely I haven't covered all of the possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may be able to offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Small engine repair parts, generic repair manuals and additional help are all available at all local small engine repair shops and or lawn mower repair shops in your area. Shops and dealers are listed in the phone book directory.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically & keeps all communications in this one thread.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.

Old 07-16-03, 08:55 PM
kris74
Visiting Guest
belts and bearings

i would also be sure to grease all your bearings, and check the condition of your belts. have you used carb cleaner to clean around your linkages? this is simple to try and they should be clean and free of grass, dirt, and grease to operate correct. my friends john deere is also doing the same thing and i am trying to correct this. lucky he has a friend that turn some wrenches, this yard of his is FREAKING HUGE and he has been pushing it for almost a year.