Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Crankcase Hose

Visiting Guest

07-16-03, 08:47 PM   #1  
kris74
Crankcase Hose

john deere lawn tractor 116 117/oh. how will the crankcase hose affet engine operation if it's broken? will this cause backfiring?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-16-03, 09:05 PM   #2  
Hello kris74!

Are you referring to the crankcase breather tube? If so, it should not cause backfiring, but it will allow the engine to suck raw-unfiltered air into the carb and cause engine wear. Replace it soon. Backfiring can be caused by too lean of a fuel mixture, sometimes too rich of a fuel mixture, valvetrain problems, mis-adjusted points. When does it backfire?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

07-17-03, 03:15 PM   #3  
kris74
it's backfiring when i shut it off. ? ? ? ?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-17-03, 10:26 PM   #4  
What brand and hp engine do you have on it?

God bless!

Visiting Guest

07-18-03, 12:21 AM   #5  
kris74
john deere 116 117/oh does'nt say, my dad says it has a kawaski.??? seems it wonr idle down all the way, linkages are clean, think it nees a minor idle adjusment????checking the spark plug gaps in the morning, it has two plugs and a throttle body looking carb.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-19-03, 12:46 AM   #6  
Sounds to me like the carb needs cleaning. Also, on the bottom of the carb bowl, there may be a fuel shutoff solenoid. If this is not closing properly, it will cause backfiring. Kawasaki makes a great engine, and the carbs are easy to work on. Just be easy with the float needle. They are expensive to replace in comparison to most needles.

God bless!

Search this Thread