Crankcase Hose

Old 07-16-03, 08:47 PM
kris74
Visiting Guest
Question Crankcase Hose

john deere lawn tractor 116 117/oh. how will the crankcase hose affet engine operation if it's broken? will this cause backfiring?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-03, 09:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello kris74!

Are you referring to the crankcase breather tube? If so, it should not cause backfiring, but it will allow the engine to suck raw-unfiltered air into the carb and cause engine wear. Replace it soon. Backfiring can be caused by too lean of a fuel mixture, sometimes too rich of a fuel mixture, valvetrain problems, mis-adjusted points. When does it backfire?

Old 07-17-03, 03:15 PM
kris74
Visiting Guest
it's backfiring when i shut it off. ? ? ? ?

Old 07-17-03, 10:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What brand and hp engine do you have on it?

Old 07-18-03, 12:21 AM
kris74
Visiting Guest
john deere 116 117/oh does'nt say, my dad says it has a kawaski.??? seems it wonr idle down all the way, linkages are clean, think it nees a minor idle adjusment????checking the spark plug gaps in the morning, it has two plugs and a throttle body looking carb.

Old 07-19-03, 12:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds to me like the carb needs cleaning. Also, on the bottom of the carb bowl, there may be a fuel shutoff solenoid. If this is not closing properly, it will cause backfiring. Kawasaki makes a great engine, and the carbs are easy to work on. Just be easy with the float needle. They are expensive to replace in comparison to most needles.