Riding mower dies

Old 07-07-06, 03:22 PM
Meethos
Visiting Guest
Riding mower dies

Briggs & Stratton 16.5 hp OHV engine, automatic transmission.

Problem is the mower will start up just fine, but when I release the brake pedal the engine will die; if I leave the brake down the engine will run all day. It will also die if I engage the blades(and the brake depressed). I have used the mower before without any problems.

My dad gave me this mower(this thing spent time under water when hurricane Rita hit Cameron, LA) and it worked fine for him; also I have no manual('s) for it.

Old 07-07-06, 04:29 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Does the engine bogg to a stop like it's being loaded down or does it just stop; like turning off the key and if you re-press the clutch quikly will the engine regain speed?

If the later is the case; I would suppect one or both of the kill switches that are operated by both the blade clutch and foot clutch being that both were under water for a while ..

God Bless,
Dave237

Old 07-08-06, 12:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Since you didn't specify, I am going to guess that this is a craftsman mower, or another AYP product. If so, I believe you'll find the problem lies in the seat switch connector. Use a wire-tie or something similar to squeeze the connector tighter to the switch itself. There is a spring loaded shunt in the connector that relies on a bump on the switch to deactivate it. If the connector moves back just a tad from the switch, the shunt activates and basically reads the same as it would if no one were on the seat.

Old 07-08-06, 07:17 PM
With an automatic tran`, it sounds like MTD, Cub Cadet, Yardman or Yardmachine. If it does bog down as first mentioned, check your belts, idler pulleys and the variable speed pulleys.

Old 07-08-06, 11:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It shouldn't have anything to do with the belts, since it dies when you engage the blades OR release the clutch pedal. You would have to have a major issue in both the blade drive and the tranny drive for it to be a belt issue, and even then you'd probably have a burning belt smell when you engage either of them.

Old 07-09-06, 10:29 AM
Meethos
Visiting Guest
Actually it is a Murry.
Does the engine bogg to a stop like it's being loaded down or does it just stop; like turning off the key and if you re-press the clutch quikly will the engine regain speed?
It boggs down like it is being loaded, if I push the brake back down it will re-gain power or if I pull back on the lever to dis-engage the blades the motor will regain power.

Will have to hunt down any other kill switches(if it has any besides under the seat) and see if they are faulty.

Thanks for the help so far.

Old 07-09-06, 08:43 PM
D
Meethos,

This is not a switch problem and I doubt that both belts are off their pullies. Sounds like a govoner or carb problem. Check the spring linkage (on the side of the engine) from the throttle lever to the govoner lever... Make sure the spring is intact... You may also have a partly stoped up main carb jet.

God Bless,
Dave237

Old 07-10-06, 01:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
So the engine doesn't shut off immediately when you engage the clutch or blades? Does it run at all throttle positions as it should? If it is bogging down, instead of shutting off, you may well have a carb problem. Likely to be water in the carb.

Old 05-21-07, 03:39 PM
W
Talking wife kills riding mower!!

first off I give my wife lots of " credit ", she runs the homestead and keeps the ship afloat... one day while she was mowing the yard the riding mower decided to quit .. ( 11hp.38in cut briggs/stratton murray ) upon visual inspection I noticed oil on the head, but not in a blood running stream of oil, but just a small patch of oil.. upon trying to restart the mower, that attempt failed!( tried choking and " not " choking ) realizing something was terribly wrong, I decided to check a little more further into the problem, while removing the dip stick a horrible odor of GAS came billowing out the dipstick tube.... question short.. why/how is gas getting into my crankcase ?? and is this a fixable problem without having to have major surgery performed on my mower?

Old 05-21-07, 08:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The carburetor is leaking. The wife didn't do it though. The carb bowl needs to be removed and cleaned out at the least. If the carb is full of trash, it needs to be removed and cleaned in a carb cleaner. Replace the needle, and then change the oil. Do not run the engine with the gassy oil! Let us know if you run into an obstacle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: