Engine Repair Help

Old 07-17-03, 11:32 AM
xufan
Visiting Guest
mower deck pulley / mandrell repair

I recently replaced a Sears mandrell assembly on my 42 inch mower deck and the new mandrell siezed up after about a 20 minute mowing session. There did not appear to be a place to grease it and i noticed that the bottom bearing assembly was not press fi in, although the top one was. What did I do wrong?

This assembly cost me $80.00 with shipping!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-03, 09:14 PM
xufan,

I didn't understand what you said about the bottom bearing. The bottom bearing is normally installed on the mandrel shaft whether you get the complete mandrel or the mandrel shaft kit. You shouldn't have any problem with the bottom bearing unless you were trying to use an old housing and the bottom of the housing was chewed up exposing the bottom bearing.
These bearings are sealed bearings and do not need to be greased.
On these mandrels it is very easy to over tighten the top nut. This puts too much side load on the bearings.
The information I have below I got from the Sears site (www3.sears.com). You should be able to get a Mandrel Shaft Kit for less then $50.00. They normally have these Shaft Kits in stock at the Sears Service Centers (No shipping).
When you assemble it again be sure it turns freely.
Another mistake some people make when they reassemble a mandrel is the lose that washer that is between the top bearing and the pulley. That washer must be there for it to work.

KIT MANDREL 137646 (137645) $ 32.49

MANDREL ASM 130794 $ 63.79

Old 07-17-03, 10:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Correct...also, there is supposed to be a spacer between the top bearing and the bottom bearing. If it is not there, it will ruin the bearings. Instead of buying the whole new mandrel, the bearings cost only a fraction of the price of the whole assy. and are easy to replace.

Old 07-18-03, 05:10 AM
xufan
Visiting Guest
Talking

Thanks, folks,

I will get a new set of top bearings and try again. BTW, there seemed to be a small thin washer/spacer about the size of shim stock which is upturned around the perimeter- this is not listed in the isometric drawing on Sears web site and I am wondering where its supposed to go.

Old 07-18-03, 09:02 AM
xufan,

If your talking about the perimeter of the mandrel housing, that would be a stiffener kit. They install this kit to try to correct a sprung condition of the mower deck.

cheese,

On this deck they don't have a spacer between the top and bottom bearing. That is the reason it is so easy to over tighten the top nut.

Old 07-18-03, 09:31 AM
xufan
Visiting Guest
No,

This part is about 1 1/2 in" diameter (smaller than the top bearing housing) and about .025 thick
with about a 3/4" hole in the center with the edge turned up (or down depending on orientation of the part. I am describing this part from memory as I am not at home.

Old 07-18-03, 11:02 AM
xufan,

That must be part of the bearing. It sounds like it may be a seal from the bearing. If you can see any of the ball bearings in the bearing the seal is missing from that bearing.
If that is not it and it is not on the parts diagram of the Sears site it's an extra part that can be pitched.

Old 07-18-03, 08:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You're right Roger...forgot that the AYP mandrels don't have the spacer between the bearings. I rebuilt one today as a matter of fact, and was reminded of that when I took it apart, lol.

Old 05-21-07, 08:43 PM
replacing bearing on sears 42" deck

i'm in the middle of replacing the upper and lower bearings on the mandrels of a 42" craftsman mower...i have the part number for the upper bearing and using it have found the dimensions...

the lower bearing is not listed as a separate part as it is pressed onto the mandrel...i believe that it should be removable and can also be replaced very economically, but don't have measurements...can you give me a clue (inner and outer diameters, as well as height)...

thanks for any assistance

Old 05-21-07, 08:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can use the number 6203 for the top bearing, and 6204 for the bottom bearing at a bearing supply store. I don't know the dimensions offhand.

Old 05-21-07, 09:26 PM
replacing bearing on sears 42" deck

thanks...first thing tomorrow and i'm at the counter...

peace
always
sam

Search this Thread